PDA

View Full Version : Help: E34 M30 intake!?!

ILoveMPower
01-28-2006, 12:53 PM
Alright, I want an intake for my M30. I've heard that the stock system is pretty much optimized for the engine, and obviously I won't be seeing big, if any, power gains. The main reason I'm interested is the sound, and perhaps to wake up the motor a bit.

I know TCD has an intake for the E28 M30B34, but not for mine. As far as I know, no company manufactures a bolt-in cold air intake for these engines.

I was wondering, if my information is false and a company does produce this, or if perhaps some of you 535i guys have rigged up a nice DIY setup. Keep in mind I'd rather keep the stock then have a system that looks like it came out of the garden.

Thanks in advance!
-Jeremy

bfd
01-28-2006, 01:32 PM
Alright, I want an intake for my M30. I've heard that the stock system is pretty much optimized for the engine, and obviously I won't be seeing big, if any, power gains. The main reason I'm interested is the sound, and perhaps to wake up the motor a bit.

I know TCD has an intake for the E28 M30B34, but not for mine. As far as I know, no company manufactures a bolt-in cold air intake for these engines.

I was wondering, if my information is false and a company does produce this, or if perhaps some of you 535i guys have rigged up a nice DIY setup. Keep in mind I'd rather keep the stock then have a system that looks like it came out of the garden.

Thanks in advance!
-Jeremy

When you say "intake", what are you talking about? Are you asking for an *intake manifold?* If so, Dinan makes one, but it might cost more than your car is worth:

http://www.dinancars.com/Series.asp?Series=15&Chassis=14&Model=64&Class=Engine%20Tuning#1497

If you're talking about improving air flow, maybe there's a reason why nobody has made a "bolt-in cold air intake." IT DOESN'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!

Do you think some after-market company, even one with resources like Dinan haven't considered it? One thing to consider, BMW spends millions tuning their cars.

The key here is COLD air flow. The stock system does this very well. IF you really think you need something "extra," put in a K&N filter. You'll spend $50 and feel better....

ILoveMPower
01-28-2006, 01:42 PM
I understand, this is the reason I'm looking for a cold air intake with a heat shield. It would still like to provide cold air, but also a better sound.

I appreciate you talking to me like I'm an idiot, thats looking for a "DIY intake manifold."

Alexlind123
01-28-2006, 01:56 PM
You could sacrifice the right high-beam headlight and install a screen to get your air from like BigKriss did.

BigKriss
01-28-2006, 02:36 PM
Yeah, I like the increased induction 'roar' at idle.

You could sacrifice the right high-beam headlight and install a screen to get your air from like BigKriss did.

genphreak
01-28-2006, 07:17 PM
Yeah. The stock system is a cold air intake. It's just a quiet and efficient one. Few other cars (until recently) have bothered to do what Bimmer did with theirs at the time. To increase roar, perhaps fashion a replacement filterbox in the same design as the stock one but make it out of alluminium. Open the front intake trumpet up like Kriss did. But I'd be sure to add an insulation in between it and the exhaust manifold so it doesn't heat up your intake air.

In saying this, I just thought- perhaps covering the intake box in alluminum foil would keep the air going through it a little cooler- now that'd be a zero dollar performance improvement! :) Nick

Alexlind123
01-28-2006, 07:20 PM
Yeah. The stock system is a cold air intake. It's just a quiet and efficient one. Few other cars (until recently) have bothered to do what Bimmer did with theirs at the time. To increase roar, perhaps fashion a replacement filterbox in the same design as the stock one but make it out of alluminium. Open the front intake trumpet up like Kriss did. But I'd be sure to add an insulation in between it and the exhaust manifold so it doesn't heat up your intake air.

In saying this, I just thought- perhaps covering the intake box in alluminum foil would keep the air going through it a little cooler- now that'd be a zero dollar performance improvement! :) Nick

I took out my airbox a bit ago and noticed that it has OEM metal heat shielding on the engine side.

pundit
01-28-2006, 07:37 PM
Yeah, I like the increased induction 'roar'......of the sparrows as they get sucked into oblivion! :D

632 Regal
01-28-2006, 07:54 PM
hardware cloth in the opening stops birds rocks and baseballs from becoming lodged.
...of the sparrows as they get sucked into oblivion! :D