PDA

View Full Version : Newbie w/ '95 525

trumpetr
01-28-2006, 10:12 AM
Hello all- Just joined the forum, and recently got way lucky, in finding a 95 525 with only 73k miles, and immaculate!:D :) This is my first BMW. Its alpine white with grey leather, and appears essentially stock (orig wheels, no body or light mods). It appears to have been very well maintained, and was a one owner out of california (little old lady from Pasadena,,,,well, er, Santa Monica, in this case.)
The only issues I have found, was a slightly worn serpentine belt and athe thermostat was stuck open- both have been replaced, and it runs and drives excellent.
What can I expect to do, in the near future, as for preventative maint, and of course, Id welcome any thoughts or suggestions as for best sources for clear tail/sides/corners,,,,and am also thinking of 18" wheels/tires.
Ill post a couple of pics of it as soon as I get a chance.
Thanks, all----

mikell
01-28-2006, 10:15 AM
Look at www.bmwe34.net - Bruno has a good write up on what to expect.

trumpetr
01-28-2006, 10:17 AM
Thanks--- I'll have a look.

SRR2
01-28-2006, 10:36 AM
Change the transmission fluid. See: http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=15765

632 Regal
01-28-2006, 12:55 PM
search for schedule I & II maintenance. If you have all the records on the car you can figure out what needs attention. These cars are all about preventative maintenance.

trumpetr
01-28-2006, 01:58 PM
Another stupid question----how do you check the auto tranny fluid level? cant find a dipstick.

Kalevera
01-28-2006, 03:27 PM
There is no dipstick. You have a GM Hydramatic 4l40e. Search "A4S" and read the threads that pertain to fluid. It's NOT the same procedure as on the 540s/other cars with lifetime fluid. Yours needs Dexron III, common ATF.

There are a number of writeups on how to do it, but the most important part of the procedure is in checking the fluid level after the new fluid is in the trans. The car has to be warmed up to the point where the fluid is 30 degrees celsius (this is why it helps to have a diagnostic computer), then the fill bolt is opened and the fluid is topped off.

I've found that, from dead cold (meaning, the car hasn't been started in a day), it takes about 10 minutes of sitting in park or neutral to get the trans to that temp. The fluid can get too hot to check, which will happen if the car is driven....I think the range is to 35 degrees. So, do what you can given that no diagnostic computer is available.

best, whit