PDA

View Full Version : AC compressor comes on, blows warm?

Jesda
01-28-2006, 12:34 AM
My AC compressor comes on, and I can see it spinning (not just the clutch). However, the cabin temp doesnt drop. I assume that because it comes on, its not low on refrigerant. Should I have a shop do a flush and recharge?

Should I retrofit to 134 at the same time? I did a 134 switch on a Q45 that yielded very poor performance, so I'm hesitant to do it in a hot state like Missouri.

Thanks!

Kalevera
01-28-2006, 02:13 AM
yes and yes

pundit
01-28-2006, 03:12 AM
My AC compressor comes on, and I can see it spinning (not just the clutch). However, the cabin temp doesnt drop. I assume that because it comes on, its not low on refrigerant. Should I have a shop do a flush and recharge?

Should I retrofit to 134 at the same time? I did a 134 switch on a Q45 that yielded very poor performance, so I'm hesitant to do it in a hot state like Missouri.

Thanks!
As Whit said if you have to get it serviced now is the time to convert to R134A. R12 is not a practical option any more. Mine has a similar problem to yours. The compressor still cycles but the cooling performance has dropped right off in the past couple of months. Especially noticeable in the past few weeks with several days nudging 110F and other days up to 85% humidity.

Mine was retrofitted with R134a by the previous owner about 4 years ago. I think I may have a slight leak from one of the service port schraeder valves but, like yours, there is still enough gas to keep the compressor clutch engaging.

I've just bought a new drier and am going to also replace the expansion valve and pressure switches prior to having it regassed. But first I'll get it leak checked and get the old gas reclaimed.