PDA

View Full Version : BMA or Autohaus (Arizona)?

pundit
01-27-2006, 04:58 AM
I'm about to purchase some parts from the U.S...

These are from Autohaus (http://www.autohausaz.com/), Arizona...

AC Expansion Valve (Egelhof/CRP)
AC High/Low Switch (TGK/Behr)
Distributor Cap (Bosch)
Distributor Rotor (Bosch)
Spark Plug Wire Set (Karlyn)
Engine Mounts (Corteco)
Fuel Tank Sender (VDO-Siemens)
Dogbones (Karlyn/Ocap)
Transmission Mounts (Karlyn)

Works out at about $750.00 AUS dollars ex shipping.
Local stealer prices close to $2000.00 AUS dollars.

Yes I know many of us Aussies descended from convicts but even our ancestors weren't that greedy!

On average Autohaus prices seem about 10% cheaper than BMA.
Has anyone had any experience with Autohaus, good or bad, or should I just stick with BMA? - TIA

GJPinAU
01-27-2006, 06:23 AM
I know BigKriss swears by BMA and I think one of the guys in WA used Autohaus early last year.
Maybe you can be the guinea pig for us with Autohaus.
Let us know how you got on.

cheers,
Greg

Russell
01-27-2006, 07:48 AM
I like to be able to call or e-mail patrick at BMA and wotk out any order details. Even so , I see no problem with either company. However, as I am in the US, order problems may be more easily worked out.

SRR2
01-27-2006, 10:46 AM
Quite a few Aussies and NZ-landers have had good luck with BMA. BMA is reported to have gone out of their way to deal with offshore shipping issues. They are consistently more expensive than Autohaus, and have less of a selection. To get the best deal with them apparently you have to sweet talk them on the phone.

I'm in the States so there aren't shipping issues for me. I've dealt with Autohaus many times and have been very impressed with their selection, availability, speed and accuracy. I've never had occasion to talk with them on the phone, which suits me just fine. Their web site is all I need to deal with them.

You might want to shoot an email to Autohaus and ask them about their export policies and practices. Otherwise, both companies seem to be reputable and worthy of your business.

calmloki
01-27-2006, 11:19 AM
Haven't used BMA. Have used AutohausAz a couple times in the last month and am about to use them again for all the waterpump related stuff for my 525iT. Really fast delivery to Oregon, correct order, very good prices, free shipping on $50+ orders. I like them so much I sent them an email of praise. Exagerated handling and shipping charges piss me off - curious what BMA vs. AutohausAz rates will be. Note: some places charge more if you call in an order vs. web based ordering, so use the same method for both when getting your quote.
Tom Walrod

632 Regal
01-27-2006, 12:13 PM
Add up the costs at both places, email patrick at BMA with the part numbers and inquire about shipping policies and costs, then you can make a better decision based on your situation.

madmaxdvl
01-27-2006, 03:03 PM
Can't say that I've had personal experience with BMA, but I'll echo calmloki in my praise for Autohaus AZ. VERY quick, very accurate, and very good prices! As a bonus, though, I live 100 miles from their warehouse, so my orders are delivered next day. Even if I moved across the country tomorrow, I'd still order from them.

ra_pro
01-27-2006, 03:18 PM
Don't have to sweet talk anyone to anything. Just send an email to Patrick (patrick@bmaparts.com) asking for a price quote, tell him you're from e34 forum. If his final price (including delivery) is higher than Autohaus tell him that and he will match Autohaus. This is a standard procedure,

callen
01-27-2006, 04:25 PM
I've used BMA for years...and have had very good luck with them....I've even made a mistake or two and they've taken care of me...it is nice to know the person (Patrick) and be able to call or email. That's worth 10% for me. :)

myles
01-27-2006, 04:29 PM
I can only say good things about AutohausAZ. I have ordered quite a bit of stuff from them now and it has all been spot on. It helps that they have BMW part numbers on the web site to make extra sure that they are the right parts.

I have placed one order with BMA and they made a mistake on one part, and I made a mistake on another part. Turns out the 94 525ia's have different transmissions in OZ to the US version. If they had the part numbers on their web site I would have been able to pick up on that before placing the order.

Looking at getting some brake pads from Rockauto.com soon too (only because I can't find anyone else that will sell Raybestos to Australia)

myles
01-27-2006, 04:35 PM
US fuel tank senders are different to Australian ones. The sender from BMA or Autohaus is for metal tanks.

In my experience, I have found that the OZ E34s have a plastic fuel tank and have a different sender. The US cars have a metal tank.

Check yours to be sure.

Guapo
01-27-2006, 04:57 PM
I have had very good service from Autohaus. I have not ordered from BMA yet.

pundit
01-27-2006, 05:19 PM
US fuel tank senders are different to Australian ones. The sender from BMA or Autohaus is for metal tanks.

In my experience, I have found that the OZ E34s have a plastic fuel tank and have a different sender. The US cars have a metal tank.

Check yours to be sure.
Thanks for that. I will check.
I was quoted $360.00 here for a sender!

Zeuk in Oz
01-27-2006, 05:36 PM
I have not used Autohaus AZ but have found BMA terrific - the service from Patrick was amazing. If I ordered at 9 am on a Friday, the order would arrive at 9 am on a Tuesday.

Which prices are you comparing ? I found that when I phoned Patrick and ordered the prices were lower than on their website.

I presume that they are slightly higher on the website to compensate for free delivery to US buyers.

I was a little disappointed at Autohaus' variety of items - BMA seemed much more comprehensive.

Either way I think you will be ahead compared to what we can get here in Oz.

BigKriss
01-27-2006, 06:34 PM
I have only used BMA. The email service is so good, that I am hooked. They offer price matching also on their parts. No doubt Autohaus maybe very good also, shogun often praises that company. I give Patrick a list of etk numbers and part descriptions then I ask him how much it will cost with shipping included. I don't look at their website that much becasue they can usually get any part that BMW makes, and their prices are different when you say your a member of this forum. Their inventory is a lot larger than what their website states. I can send you some on my emails to him if you like. No mistakes on their behalf so far.

bill g
01-28-2006, 07:41 AM
I ordered dist cap and rotor from Autohaus recently - ordered Tuesday, shipped next day and received in Melbourne following Monday. No complaints. Had to pay using Paypal as there was some problem with using Australian bank credit card - some of our banks do not participate in billing address verification system.

Bill G

mikell
01-28-2006, 10:20 AM
Good service from both - go with the one who gives the best price. Maybe share quotes from one with the other and see if that will get you a match on price, then play with shipping cost.