PDA

View Full Version : Almost OT: Security Torx bits

SRR2
01-26-2006, 08:12 PM
Secure or "tamper resistant" Torx bits are a bear to find, and when you need one, you need one. I know I've run across a few in BMWs, but couldn't say where at the moment. Anyway, I was browsing in Harbor Freight tonight and was pleasantly surprised to find that they have recently added a nice set of Secure Torx and Star sockets to their lineup. The secure bits come in T-10, 15 20, 25, 30, 40, 45, 50, and 55. The star sockets are E-6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 14, and 16. The set costs $13. The stock number is P-36562. Comes with their usual lifetime warranty on hand tools.

632 Regal
01-26-2006, 09:21 PM
I have a set of them and they seem real soft. They will serve their purpose but not on a tight one.

Qube
01-26-2006, 11:29 PM
Our local hardware store has several sets of them (Canadian Tire). Home Depot has them too.

SRR2
01-27-2006, 01:36 AM
Funny, I've looked in a few of the local HDs and Lowes here within the last two years without any luck. Even the NAPA store which has a surprisingly good selection of unusual tools doesn't have them. The best I'd been able to find was a True Value Hardware that sold individual bits for $6-$8 each, and had only a few sizes.

ryan roopnarine
01-27-2006, 09:11 AM
canadian tire is the best. everytime i return to canada, i buy another (i think) 50 piece screwdriver set that comes in something the same width as a chequebook..$17.99. nobody in the US sells that many phillips,flat, robertson, and torx bits for that price, and somebody invariably steals one or two of the bits when i'm not looking.

as for the harbor freight. ill stop by there soon and pick one of these up, vice grips=\\torx security bits :D

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
01-27-2006, 09:44 AM
canadian tire is the best. everytime i return to canada, i buy another (i think) 50 piece screwdriver set that comes in something the same width as a chequebook..$17.99. nobody in the US sells that many phillips,flat, robertson, and torx bits for that price, and somebody invariably steals one or two of the bits when i'm not looking.

as for the harbor freight. ill stop by there soon and pick one of these up, vice grips=\\torx security bits :D

In the US a Robertson bit is a security bit...;)

DanH
01-27-2006, 12:46 PM
Thats mostly true, the average person doesn't own a robertson driver, but has a few flat and phillips screwdrivers laying around.

However, I usually look for Robertson or torx drive screws whenever I do any construction or woodwork. They are harder to find than phillips drive and won't strip out the heads very often.

ryan roopnarine
01-27-2006, 02:13 PM

naaahhh
people just stick a flat bladed screwdriver into it and twist it until a torx fits into it.:D

they should do one of them canada history commercials about it, along with other such canadian innovations as the milk bag......

cue somebody sayin "the only milk bags i know about are the ones on my gf"

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
01-27-2006, 02:19 PM
they should do one of them canada history commercials about it, along with other such canadian innovations as the milk bag......

cue somebody sayin "the only milk bags i know about are the ones on my gf"

LOL

Paul in NZ
01-27-2006, 05:41 PM
know I've run across a few in BMWs, but couldn't say where at the moment.

torx screws mount the door handles,under the trim.Hence the reason I have never remounted the trim on the rr door,never been able to find a bit(mind you I havent looked that hard)

ryan roopnarine
01-27-2006, 10:29 PM
I know I've run across a few in BMWs, but couldn't say where at the moment.

the two airbag sensors under the hood are held on by torx security bits. i had to use visegrips to get them off of the donor car.