PDA

View Full Version : ICE + Curb = unhappy front rim.

McWatters
01-26-2006, 08:05 PM
So I was driving along some backroad in a suburban area and i was being cautious because i knew there had to be some ice somewhere. Sure enough drivin it slow i took a left hand turn car started to slide smoked a curb and now my front right rim is bent a bit, tire is OK. However im worried about the tie rod end, i seem to get a unconsistant small wobble driving now, and when i turn hard right sometimes my tire rubs???

How much are tie rod ends yada yada.. , i have spare rim but any ideas on how to fix damaged rim or is it a lost cause.

cheers

J.McWatters

McWatters
01-26-2006, 08:31 PM
Also is it a good idea to replace other things while im gettin the indy to do that kinda stuff. And, should i replace both sides?

cheers

J.McWatters

Jay 535i
01-26-2006, 08:32 PM
i have spare rim but any ideas on how to fix damaged rim or is it a lost cause.

That depends on the extent of the damage. Got pics?

McWatters
01-26-2006, 08:34 PM
naw wish i did, the riim isnt that bad. just the thought of something breakin while im driving and goin 3 wheelin scares me

cheers

J.McWatters

Jay 535i
01-26-2006, 08:42 PM
naw wish i did, the riim isnt that bad. just the thought of something breakin while im driving and goin 3 wheelin scares me

cheers

J.McWatters

There's a place up in Newmarket that refurbishes rims. I've seen their work and it's nice. They could tell you what to do with it. Sorry I don't remember any more details about them, but you can try the Newmarket yellowpages.

On the other hand, if it's the stock basketweaves we're talking about, just replace it. They're cheap.

Kobe Diesel
01-26-2006, 08:47 PM
Some of the wheel repair shops Ive come across charge about $100 cure or no cure.

If the tie end rods are no good, they can be purchased for no more than $35 each. Ive seen as low as $22. If you replace, it's best to go with Lemforder.

McWatters
01-26-2006, 08:53 PM
New question but i take it there are two tie rod ends for each whee?

cheers

J.McWatters

Jay 535i
01-26-2006, 08:53 PM
Some of the wheel repair shops Ive come across charge about $100 cure or no cure.

If the tie end rods are no good, they can be purchased for no more than $35 each. Ive seen as low as $22. If you replace, it's best to go with Lemforder.

Yes, $100 per rim is the going rate. Note that the price may include reburshing the finish and making it look brand spanking new in addition to also fixing the damage. But you can get a whole set of four basketweaves for ~$300.

SharkmanBMW
01-26-2006, 09:31 PM
get an alignment... that will tell you if things are out of whack.

cmk
01-26-2006, 10:57 PM
The same thing happened to me last year.
In Chicago for the weekend, coming out of NWU parking lot Sun afternoon, fresh powder on black ice.
Went to turn left, car went straight.

I was going so slow i didn't think there would be any damage, but i had the same tire rubbing problem (when turning). It looked like wheel was pushed back about 1-2 cm. The rim got a bad rash along about 10", but otherwise seems fine.

I thought (hoped) it might be the tie-rod as well, but took it to a BMW mech who said it was either thrust or control arm.
I was already stuck there an extra day and didn't want to screw around so i had him change both.

It's only a matter of bending the arm 1cm (or less), can't notice it by looking at it. Luckily it didn't do any perm alignment damage, still tracks like an arrow.

McWatters
01-27-2006, 12:57 AM
Yea my tire seems to have the same symptoms!

Control arm and thrust arm eh, costly??

cheers

J.McWatters

Jon K
01-27-2006, 01:05 AM
Thing is if you've got a wobble and you're rubbing... a tie rod end isnt the likely thing bent. I am thinking tie rod/control arm/ hob assembly... list goes on.

McWatters
01-27-2006, 01:11 AM
Sounds pretty freakin costly to me looks like im in it for the long haul... so much for the sound system goin in soon haha.

cheers

J.McWatters

angrypancake
01-27-2006, 02:33 AM
you can install the sound system yourself if you buy the amp kit for ~50 bucks. I did mine with my neighbor, it took maybe an hour? and when i had the tie rods done at the indy, it was 110 w/o labor, thrust arms were 175, and control arm bushings were 40 for 2. hope this helps.

McWatters
01-27-2006, 04:45 PM
So i went to Wheel place today to put on my spare. and i find out my spare is for like a 87 5er which they dont make anymore so much for that!

My Wheel is rubbing against the wheel well no matter waht now, and the Wheel guy said i shouldnt even be driving the thing,. So right now its parked, i gotta get it over to an Indy for a full diagnostic.

Cheers

J.McWatters