PDA

View Full Version : Sticking trunk button

Jay 535i
01-26-2006, 04:42 PM
This is annoying year-round, but gets worse in the winter.

The button to open my trunk is very sticky. When it's very cold, I'll push it in and it won't pop back out. I have to put the key in it and pull it out.

What's the best way to lubricate it?

632 Regal
01-26-2006, 05:35 PM
mines being a pain but it sticks when i try to puch it in. Havent washed the car in a month cause of the mud road or salt or wet roads etc...taking its tool on that button tho. Wish I had a remote opener for it.

zygoteer
01-26-2006, 05:48 PM
This is annoying year-round, but gets worse in the winter.

The button to open my trunk is very sticky. When it's very cold, I'll push it in and it won't pop back out. I have to put the key in it and pull it out.

What's the best way to lubricate it?

Mine sticks in exactly the same way ... it has tiny deposits on it like the oxidation you get with aluminium alloy.
I have tried WD40 and silicone - neither a complete answer though, so i'm interested in what others have to say on this ...

Jay 535i
01-26-2006, 05:50 PM
I have tried WD40 and silicone

Neither of those is a lubricant, so I'm not surprised they don't work. I'd like to know what does work, though. :)

zygoteer
01-26-2006, 06:10 PM
I don't quite follow that then, as both of the cans show the word 'lubricates' ... maybe I'm missing something here.

I used the WD40 primarily to first dispel any moisture, then the after drying it as much as I could, (I don't really like the greasy/oily residue WD leaves) I then used a filtered airline to get out any remaining, then I used the Silicone 'dry lubricant', as this is unlikely to coagulate or freeze.

... seemed like a reasonable plan to me ... but was only partially succesful - I think I will have to strip & clean the mechanism though, as I suspect oxidation is the real culprit of the sticking

632 Regal
01-26-2006, 07:30 PM
I used PB Blaster, still must be a buildup of crap under the seal.

Chowchilla Skunkwerks
01-26-2006, 08:09 PM
I've always used a powdered graphite. Put a nice coating on the key and run it thru all the locks (remember to wipe it off your keys... it leaves a pretty ugly stain in your pocket). I then put some on my fingers and rub the outside of all the pushbuttons. Worked great on 35 year old locks for me.
Rob

zygoteer
01-26-2006, 08:21 PM
Its not the lock itself that is the problem, but the actual chrome button sticking in the depressed position when it is opened.

Jay 535i
01-26-2006, 08:26 PM
Its not the lock itself that is the problem, but the actual chrome button sticking in the depressed position when it is opened.

I think he's saying you can rub it on the outside of the button and it will help. I'll try it.

Re: WD-40 and silicone, I guess they do lubricate a bit, but their main purpose is to repel water. They're not a substitute for a good, dedicated lubricant.