PDA

View Full Version : Shifting in Auto/Sport mode

saj3n
01-26-2006, 04:37 PM
Had a conversation with a friend of mine regarding manually shifting with a 95 530i auto transmission. Is this a problem? Should or shouldn't it be done?

Jay 535i
01-26-2006, 04:39 PM
AFAIK, it's not good to do it too often, and you're kidding yourself if you think you're gaining any peformance, since the shift speeds are the same and you're just adding time to the shift by making the driver do it manually with a device that wasn't designed for quick changes.

That goes, I think, for any auto tranny.

saj3n
01-26-2006, 04:44 PM
AFAIK, it's not good to do it too often, and you're kidding yourself if you think you're gaining any peformance, since the shift speeds are the same and you're just adding time to the shift by making the driver do it manually with a device that wasn't designed for quick changes.

That goes, I think, for any auto tranny.

So starting/leaving in sport 4 mode for instance, is same, if not better than shifting manually or leaving in D, for best performance.

stx133
01-26-2006, 04:46 PM
if you want a more agressive shift, i have seen a tranny chip with more agressive settings. havent tried it but worth a look.

Jay 535i
01-26-2006, 04:47 PM
if you want a more agressive shift, i have seen a tranny chip with more agressive settings. havent tried it but worth a look.

Yes, Dinan has one, I think.

saj3n
01-26-2006, 05:06 PM
Yes, Dinan has one, I think.

I have also heard of this chip. So in regards to not having a chip, shifting/ off the line speed will not be dramatically increased if using sport mode opposed to regular?

Jay 535i
01-26-2006, 05:09 PM
I have also heard of this chip. So in regards to not having a chip, shifting/ off the line speed will not be dramatically increased if using sport mode opposed to regular?

I don't know if shifting manually will hurt your car, but someone else around here will know.

I am CERTAIN that you're not gaining any performance by shifting yourself. In sport mode, the tranny shifts at redline as fast as it can. How can moving the stick yourself improve on that?

Now, if you want to put the gear selector in, say, S2 for spirited driving through twisties, that's another thing. That's harmless and fun. But you leave the selector there. Don't move it through the gears. You're gaining nothing and you're using your transmission in a way for which it wasn't designed.

stx133
01-26-2006, 06:30 PM
The ONLY time manual shifting will help is on down change, when breaking into a corner. then you are still at the mercy of the computer. leave the shifter alone or get a manual. once you are in 'S' mode there is nothing you can do to get quicker acceleration.