PDA

View Full Version : ::.. Frozen locks and seals...

Qube
01-26-2006, 03:12 PM
What a blistery morning. Get out, start the car and it barely turns over. Close the door and it doesn't catch. Right. It's cold and frozen, okay. I keep a heat gun in the car for that very reason.

Go to the trunk to get it. Trunk is frozen shut. Don't get me wrong, it's not iced over like freezing rain :) With a lot of effort, trunk opens with a 'kshhhhhhhhhhhhht'. Fire up the heatgun but my trustly 800w inverter doesn't want to handle 400w this morning :(

I do little bursts of heat, then I remember again... yeah... lift and hold the handle. Let it heat itself. Not sure if it actually did (car is on at the time), but closed door and the catch worked.

Okay, so now the question. How do I alleviate the 'frozen trunk' scenario? This of course has a mirrored impact on frozen doors... you open and it feels like you're peeling the seals off. Is there something I can put around the seals to condition it perhaps? What of the lock and latch itself?

632 Regal
01-26-2006, 03:24 PM
wd-40 the seals? Id spray some of that in the latches too, you have water in there.

Qube
01-26-2006, 03:52 PM
wd-40 the seals? Id spray some of that in the latches too, you have water in there.

wd the seals? i'm not certain how it would react, if any, to the seal compound :| perhaps some wax? lol

632 Regal
01-26-2006, 04:09 PM
wax is good, WD-40 stands for Water Dispersant #40. I doubt it would so much to the seals, you could try silicone spray too.

wd the seals? i'm not certain how it would react, if any, to the seal compound :| perhaps some wax? lol

mikell
01-26-2006, 04:15 PM
Gummi pfledge on the seals?

NovceGuru
01-26-2006, 04:19 PM
I've always used silicon spray, it doesn't make a mess of your clothes. If you can't find that look in the craft section for "Mold Release" its just silicone. Have fun!

t_marat
01-26-2006, 10:48 PM
wd-40 does not help the door mechanism. At least for me, I tried.
I had the same problem, with door locks not working in the morning.

Qube
02-05-2006, 09:45 PM
Silicon spray the seals worked. Now what about the frozen door locks whereby the door won't close after opening?