PDA

View Full Version : Coffee spill = flashers stuck on.

G Feller
01-26-2006, 09:23 AM
Yes I feel like an idiot, even though I know the dreaded coffee spill happens to many. I might be able to find info through a search, but I have work to do and I am worried about my battery dying.

What is the best approach - can I easily remove the buttons to get beneath them and mop up the spill?

Many thanks,
Greg

jdt10768
01-26-2006, 09:37 AM
find the fuse and pull it.

calmloki
01-26-2006, 09:41 AM
Yup. Work the ends of the switch up and unplug from the connector. I would probably dry w/ a cloth, maybe spray some contact cleaner, and leave it unplugged for a day or so. Don't know if that would affect you normal signals or not, but easy to check.
Tom Walrod

Yes I feel like an idiot, even though I know the dreaded coffee spill happens to many. I might be able to find info through a search, but I have work to do and I am worried about my battery dying.

What is the best approach - can I easily remove the buttons to get beneath them and mop up the spill?

Many thanks,
Greg

Russell
01-26-2006, 10:26 AM
use lots of contact cleaner. It worked for me on sticky switches. may need to keep after it for a few days to flush out the gunk.

NovceGuru
01-26-2006, 04:00 PM
I did the same thing about 3 weeks ago :( set down my coffee, put the gear selector in reverse....wtf? O yes, my coffee, all over. My hazards started flashing, I pushed the button a few times and they went off. I have yet to clean the switches, the one touch still works on my side, the passenger window goes down but not up, without some effort.....fun trick to play on the passenger on a 5 degree day.

Qube
01-26-2006, 06:30 PM
Hmmmm I believe at this point most people on the board would say that your car is more that likely useless. You'll need to part it out to get maximum value out of it. Can I have your interior door panels? :)

632 Regal
01-26-2006, 07:24 PM
Im interested in the engine / trans too!

NovceGuru
01-27-2006, 11:39 AM
Im interested in the engine / trans too!

You don't want my original slushbox with 200k on it :P but the 540im.....I uh, already pm'd dibs!

Jon K
01-27-2006, 03:40 PM
http://e34.digital7.com/BMW%20Work/DSC_0035.JPG

I cleaned mine out with Q-Tips