PDA

View Full Version : M50 starting problem

henry161
01-26-2006, 07:29 AM
My local garage fitted a used cylinder head on my '93 520i M50 due to the last one cracking. Since I have got it back it is a swine to start from cold. The garage suggested it was the ignition coils and the plugs so I replaced the lot but the problem is still the same. Once started it runs like a beauty but this cold starting is puzzling me and I would be glad of any suggestions please....

Kalevera
01-26-2006, 06:46 PM
My local garage fitted a used cylinder head on my '93 520i M50 due to the last one cracking. Since I have got it back it is a swine to start from cold. The garage suggested it was the ignition coils and the plugs so I replaced the lot but the problem is still the same. Once started it runs like a beauty but this cold starting is puzzling me and I would be glad of any suggestions please....

You've probably got a vacuum leak. Inspect and replace the PCV fitting at the valve cover and replace the rubber lines that run from it to the intake and valve (two sections there). I've done a few of these on cars with difficult start symptoms. And be sure to use the correct plugs -- Bosch F7/F8LDCR, no platinums.

best, whit

Jay 535i
01-26-2006, 09:28 PM
Man, don't you just HATE it when a shop does some work on your car, they mess up somehow, then tell you it's YOUR fault for running worn out parts, and that the solution is just to give them more money so they can replace stuff instead of actually figuring out what they did wrong?

Huh? HUH!? AAARG!!!

I do. I'm done now. Sorry.

henry161
01-28-2006, 01:38 AM
Thank you for your replies - I am truly grateful. I will have a look at those pipes - it has to be something silly like that because once started it is great.
I have paid the garage a small fortune for the work so far so I will not take it back until it starts correctly this time around but if I can avoid getting to that stage that would be even better !
Best wishes.
Ed

Gayle
01-29-2006, 11:31 AM
Welcome. Too bad about your engine. I am glad you are considering a transplant instead of letting her die.

As I post this message your post count is 4 so you are definitely a newbie. We ask all newbies to please fill out their profiles and signatures. Then your car information is in every post. Your current problem is not location related, but some issues/answers are location specific so it helps people to help you if you fill out everything.

Listen to Whit. He is one of the most knowledgeable people on this board.