PDA

View Full Version : Gear shift handal push button not coming back, help plz...

Akhil
01-25-2006, 05:04 PM
Hi Guys,

It so great to be with you guys here and spend at least an hour every day reading this forum. But time to time I get problems and have to post my question here. I am confident that some body here must be able to help me with any problem I have with my car. Whether I will be able to do it my self or not, thats another question :D

Any way, today when I was taking out my car from parking. I push shift lock botton and moved gear selecter to (R), then, the push button did NOT come back out. I tried pulling it out then It came back but there is not tension in the spring inside. Seem soming (Some spring) broken. So now its not locking into gear and it might shift itself or when it pushed accidentally.

Did any body ever have this problem here? Can any body give me any idea how to fix if and what parts I will have to order?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards
Akhil

Dr. evil
01-25-2006, 05:17 PM
humm

your handle looks someting like a T right, well i think that there could be a spring under the button maybe it got unseated??

what i doo know is that there is a allen head nut at the front of the handle that you can unscrew to take the handle of an investigate.

Akhil
01-25-2006, 05:25 PM
It look someting like this pic

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD63&mospid=47404&btnr=25_0055&hg=25&fg=15

But I don;t see any spring int this pic so I don;t know what part to order. Neither I see any push button here which we push inward to shift. Any idea about real thing other than pic?

Thanks
Akhil

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-25-2006, 05:29 PM
My shift handle looks like a T, with a trigger under the handle.

The spring for the trigger was just a rubbery foam thing that died one day.

So, I had the same thing-no locking into the gears. (dangerous with kids in the car)

I took the handle off with a hex key, carefully extracted the roll pin that holds the trigger in the handle, and put in a real spring @ 3/8 dia X 1 inch.

It's kinda tricky to get the trigger and spring all back into the handle without a "boing" goes the spring! But keep at it until you can get the pin back in.

Good luck

Akhil
01-25-2006, 05:38 PM
Thanks a lot for great info. I am going to do this weekend. Is any danger driving it like this until I fix it, I done have any kid in my car? Any thing I should be careful about while taking it out and any special trick that might help me to avoid messing things up? :(

Thanks
Akhil

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-25-2006, 05:43 PM
The tricky part of the fix is the linkage and trigger replacement.

The white linkage hooks onto the trigger, so you have to get everything together as you put the roll pin back in. (It takes an octopus to hold every thing together and put the pin back)

Akhil
01-25-2006, 06:04 PM
Thats good one. I will try to create virtual octopus by calling 4 friends :p

Thanks a lot
Akhil

Rus
01-25-2006, 06:35 PM
I've run into the exact same problem with my shifter handle. Instead of using a regular spring inside, I opted to improvise. I had one of these lying around:
http://www.netmallonline.com/images/shops/ssyspro/products/quartz_KDT2530.jpg
Which you probably recognize as a mounted socket holder. I took one of the little holders off and installed it into the handle (after removing the metal pin and swinging the button out as far as it goes). It fits perfectly and has been working for the past 3 months. I believe I used a 3/8" socket holder. Also...the white push rod can be installed after you put the metal pin back into the button. That should save you some trouble. Hope this helps.

Akhil
01-25-2006, 06:43 PM
what best fits from my junk box to push button to work as spring. :D These are the thing sucks about BMW. I had a 20 yr old Toyota but every thing in that car was working

except

Engine :D (Ofcourse)

But Bimmer drives Good. :)

Akhil
01-28-2006, 02:56 PM
Thanks a lot for all your help guys. I fixed it today.

I took out the rubber from inside handal and put a sliding spring clip from broken skirt hanger. :p It got fit into handal, as if its ment for this by BMW ;)

Thanks again.

Akhil