PDA

View Full Version : 530i touring purchase

frenchtony
01-25-2006, 04:39 PM
Hi
I'm close to buying a 1994 530i Touring. It looks pretty good and seems to drive well. I'm not sure if I should be worried about the nikasil problem as I couldn't locate the engine number!! The VIN number is WBAHK21020GF66658 and from the VIN decoders seem to show that doesn't have airbags - but it does, am I using the right decoder as the year is a 0 which isn't listed.

The car has done 144000 kms here in France. From the posts I've read the transmission is a weak point, this is an auto, is there anyway to check this out before I part with my hard earned.

If anyone can help with some more VIN info and let me know realistic consumption figures I would appreciate it any other relevant info would be readily read!!:)

I've attached a photo of the little beauty, my heart has already bought it

DanH
01-25-2006, 04:57 PM
The production date is 6/1994 according to realoem.com vin decoder

Hal
01-25-2006, 05:10 PM
I generally average about 20-22 mi/US Gallon in mixed city/highway driving (say 8.9 km/liter). I can just about get 30 mi/US Gallon (12.7 km/l) when driving on the highway at about 70 mi/hr (say 115 km/hr). Consumption will increase significantly at 140 km/hr, but so will the fun.

Good luck with you new (used) car.

Hal

1994 530iT (148,000 mi) Nikasil powered
1999 528iT (85,000 mi) non-Nikasil powered

Elekta
01-25-2006, 05:20 PM
sweet color, get it

mikell
01-25-2006, 05:56 PM
Ditto.

My 530 (a 1995) has over 200k miles on it and still going strong.

Springfield1952
01-25-2006, 07:48 PM
Nice looking car especially with the T-Stars.

The Nikasil problem is because of high sulfer in the gas. the eastern United States was the worst and since you live in Cannes, I don't think it should be a problem.

My 530iT has over 110,000 miles on it and the transmission works fine.

Good luck.

Curt.

frenchtony
01-26-2006, 07:00 PM
agreed 4600 euros, pick it up tomorrow, thanks for the feedback.
it looks like a lot of car for this money heres hoping it doesn't turn into a money pit.

Thanks for the help so far

Any recommendations for the first things to do / check out on this car?

Should I change all the fluids? What is this stomp test? any other diagnostics I should run

any ideas / help / warnings appreciated

Springfield1952
01-26-2006, 07:20 PM
Tourings are notorious for broken wiring in the tailgate hinges. This causes the finctions in the tailgate to quit working. I have repaired mine a couple of times but my defroster has never worked.

Good luck.

Curt.

Jay 535i
01-26-2006, 09:17 PM
agreed 4600 euros, pick it up tomorrow, thanks for the feedback.
it looks like a lot of car for this money heres hoping it doesn't turn into a money pit.

Thanks for the help so far

Any recommendations for the first things to do / check out on this car?

Should I change all the fluids? What is this stomp test? any other diagnostics I should run

any ideas / help / warnings appreciated

Congrats! She's a beauty.

The stomp test lets you read out fault codes on the dashboard. If there was something wrong with the car to produce a fault code, you'd probably know it, but the stomp test is fun to try anyway:

1. With the car off, turn the key to the ON position (but don't start it).

2. Press the accelerator all the way to the floor five times in three seconds.

3. Watch the CHECK ENGINE light. It will flash once slowly to let you know that the code reading is about to begin, then it will quickly flash out the code. Here's an example of how to decode the flashes:

flash flash flash -- pause -- flash flash -- pause -- flash -- pause -- flash flash -- big pause, then start over

That would be 3212. Geddit? Then you Google the code or whatever to see what it means.

1444 = everything's cool (no fault codes)

You can also do a test of all your instruments' lights by holding the Check Control button in while turning the key to the ON position (again, without starting the car). The LCD on the dashboard will spell out some stuff in German and your dials will do a little dance.

Hope that helps. Have fun. Sounds like you got a bargain.

Don McAdams
01-26-2006, 11:19 PM
Congrats & Welcome to the Touring Club! :D

Is that Calypso Red?

Cheers-

Gayle
01-27-2006, 01:24 AM
Hi
I'm close to buying a 1994 530i Touring. It looks pretty good and seems to drive well. I'm not sure if I should be worried about the nikasil problem

Did you see Jeff's poll? Makes nikasil seem like no big deal but I guess it depends on the gas in your area. The only European (not counting UK) I know who regularly participates on this board is in Croatia so there is not much on the ground experience around here with sulpher, gas, and nikasil in France.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=17910

632 Regal
01-27-2006, 01:48 AM
I think the stomp test was more for the US.
Congrats! She's a beauty.

The stomp test lets you read out fault codes on the dashboard. If there was something wrong with the car to produce a fault code, you'd probably know it, but the stomp test is fun to try anyway:

1. With the car off, turn the key to the ON position (but don't start it).

2. Press the accelerator all the way to the floor five times in three seconds.

3. Watch the CHECK ENGINE light. It will flash once slowly to let you know that the code reading is about to begin, then it will quickly flash out the code. Here's an example of how to decode the flashes:

flash flash flash -- pause -- flash flash -- pause -- flash -- pause -- flash flash -- big pause, then start over

That would be 3212. Geddit? Then you Google the code or whatever to see what it means.

1444 = everything's cool (no fault codes)

You can also do a test of all your instruments' lights by holding the Check Control button in while turning the key to the ON position (again, without starting the car). The LCD on the dashboard will spell out some stuff in German and your dials will do a little dance.

Hope that helps. Have fun. Sounds like you got a bargain.

Jay 535i
01-27-2006, 02:21 PM
I think the stomp test was more for the US.

Maybe. My Canadian car has it. Don't know about European ones.

frenchtony
01-30-2006, 10:31 AM
well I've got the car, very pleased with it but the languages are all mixed up!!! The car is originally belgian, I've got a french handbook but the
OBC and dash are german, I've got a rucklicht warning which I know enough to know that the rear light is out.
Can the language settings be changed at all?

I've got an english andbook on the way which may help a bit.

ttsalo
01-31-2006, 11:11 AM
well I've got the car, very pleased with it but the languages are all mixed up!!! The car is originally belgian, I've got a french handbook but the
OBC and dash are german, I've got a rucklicht warning which I know enough to know that the rear light is out.
Can the language settings be changed at all?

Yes, you can change both. For the dash, just hold the check control button down until the language changes. Do this until you find a suitable language. For the OBC, you have to unlock the secret functions and use one of them to set the language. There are instructions to do this but I don't remember where.

clack
01-31-2006, 12:22 PM
Don Mcadams. Your touring looks awsome mate. Thats how i want mine to look when i sort the Matrix. Have you lowered it? How much?

French tony i have also just perchased a 530 touring but in Maldive blue. Im loving the calipso matey!!

Elekta
01-31-2006, 02:26 PM
heres hoping it doesn't turn into a money pit.

HA! Even if there's nothing wrong with it, it will always be a money pit. ;)

Fix the basics first before your mods. Nothing hurts more than $2k of wheels and tires broken down in the driveway.

Valve cover gaskets
power steering hoses
trunk wiring harness
all the bushings up front, motor mounts
radiator, tanks, water pump, pulleys, t-stat

FIRST
Change the tranny fluid and tighten the oil pump bolts. Make sure it's refilled properly with enough and the right fluid.

You are going to absolutely love this tourer. Best road trip vehicle I have ever owned. I am gearing up for my 4th quail run to south texas in February. 6 hours of cannonballin with two kids, labrador, wife, 4 shotguns and lots of gear.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/ggil-tx/bmw/DSCN1995.jpg