PDA

View Full Version : help with 525i

Soucy
01-25-2006, 02:01 PM
My car has over 200,000 miles and I recently had quite a bit of preventative work done because of the age. Has been running great, until a few days ago. Without warning the car won't start. It turns over but just won't catch and there is a no error code. I've replaced the spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, O2 sensor, thermostat, battery, etc., within the past year. Could it be bad gas? Bad fuel injectors? How do I check for different problems before taking it in?

Because I am a female, I would like to either fix myself or know ahead of time what it could be, as unfortunately, there are a lot of mechanics who like to take advantage thinking I know nothing at all and see a big price tag.:(

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

-E

DanH
01-25-2006, 02:23 PM
Perhaps its the crank position sensor, I'm not too sure about that specific engine though.

You need fuel, air, spark, and compression to start, so determine which of these you are missing.

My car has over 200,000 miles and I recently had quite a bit of preventative work done because of the age. Has been running great, until a few days ago. Without warning the car won't start. It turns over but just won't catch and there is a no error code. I've replaced the spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, O2 sensor, thermostat, battery, etc., within the past year. Could it be bad gas? Bad fuel injectors? How do I check for different problems before taking it in?

Because I am a female, I would like to either fix myself or know ahead of time what it could be, as unfortunately, there are a lot of mechanics who like to take advantage thinking I know nothing at all and see a big price tag.:(

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

-E

DanH
01-25-2006, 02:26 PM
also good chance your fuel pump is dead.

Search the archives to find more info.

632 Regal
01-25-2006, 02:35 PM
First thing id do is make sure you have fuel, then check fuel pressure at the fuel rail, then check for spark.

Soucy
01-25-2006, 02:35 PM
also good chance your fuel pump is dead.

Search the archives to find more info.
How can I measure the fuel pump pressure or know if that's the problem? I did get the car to start briefly yesterday and I ran it for about 5 minutes at a high idle. Once I took my foot off the gas, it stalled again.

632 Regal
01-25-2006, 02:45 PM
where are you at? weather? could be anything at this point. get a pressure guage and tap into the fuel line in back of the fuel rail. Did this just start after filling the tank or any other clues?

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=17366

Soucy
01-25-2006, 03:19 PM
where are you at? weather? could be anything at this point. get a pressure guage and tap into the fuel line in back of the fuel rail. Did this just start after filling the tank or any other clues?

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=17366

I live in Florida. Nothing abnormal with temp. or weather. It had worked earlier the same day with no hesitation and then in the evening nothing. What kind of pressure guage should I buy to test the fuel line? I know the fuel pump is located in the trunk. Is this where I should test from?

632 Regal
01-25-2006, 03:33 PM
at the fuel rail at the back of the intake manifold.

Soucy
02-15-2006, 09:10 AM
at the fuel rail at the back of the intake manifold.
okay, I'm still having trouble. The pressure was good. Battery has good voltage and I have new spark plugs.

I ended up sending my car to a mechanic to find out my car was flooded. He said he dried the spark plugs and cleaned the carb(?) and it started up just fine. I picked up the car and it ran fine for me as well, until I felt it hesitate after getting it home and then it stalled again. If the engine is flooding itself, how do I dry it out? And why does it suddenly keep flooding? I would like to fix myself as over $100 to find out my car was flooded is kind of expensive.