PDA

View Full Version : OT ::.. Getting Wireless on XBOX 360 (and anything else for that matter) for $60 CAD

Qube
01-25-2006, 12:04 AM
In my search to make a cheap USB adapter work with the XBOX 360, I came across this... I'm sure some have already found this out and am using it but for those that are not...

What's needed:
- Device you want to connect wirelessly but doesn't have wireless adapter (or you don't want to buy one
- Linksys WRT54G series wireless router
- Understanding of this: http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3562391

I'm not going to go into much detail as there are tutorials all over the net. At the time of this writing, the WRT54GC was selling for $60 CAD at CanadaComputers.

Simply what you need to so is to reflash the WRT54G series with the free Alchemy (or paid Talisman) firmware from: http://www.sveasoft.com/

After that, the WRT54G will act as a wireless bridge. Just connect your wired device to it and setup the WRT54G to connect to your existing wireless network. Of course you could probably use this to be more sophisticated with 'bandwidth borrowing' but I won't go there.

I thought I'd start the discussion here and let others fill in the gaps where needed. Technically, it's not difficult and should take no more than 30 minutes even for the most tech-challenged.

Sure beats $120 for an official MS adapter for 360!

DISCLAIMER: I make no claims or warranties about flashing your WRT54G in any way!

misfortune
01-25-2006, 12:18 AM
Nice work man. This is pretty common knowledge among we networking nerds. I have 3 wireless bridges sitting around my house. Any wireless bridge works well. I bought a $30 router off ebay and turned into a kickass bridge.
bimmerd00d has like 3 of these and one functions as his modded xbox's wireless bridge. His modded xbox is like his media center for his TV. It plays any video file and has a 250gb hard drive. We're working on modding mine too.

In my search to make a cheap USB adapter work with the XBOX 360, I came across this... I'm sure some have already found this out and am using it but for those that are not...

What's needed:
- Device you want to connect wirelessly but doesn't have wireless adapter (or you don't want to buy one
- Linksys WRT54G series wireless router
- Understanding of this: http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3562391

I'm not going to go into much detail as there are tutorials all over the net. At the time of this writing, the WRT54GC was selling for $60 CAD at CanadaComputers.

Simply what you need to so is to reflash the WRT54G series with the free Alchemy (or paid Talisman) firmware from: http://www.sveasoft.com/

After that, the WRT54G will act as a wireless bridge. Just connect your wired device to it and setup the WRT54G to connect to your existing wireless network. Of course you could probably use this to be more sophisticated with 'bandwidth borrowing' but I won't go there.

I thought I'd start the discussion here and let others fill in the gaps where needed. Technically, it's not difficult and should take no more than 30 minutes even for the most tech-challenged.

Sure beats $120 for an official MS adapter for 360!

DISCLAIMER: I make no claims or warranties about flashing your WRT54G in any way!

Qube
01-25-2006, 12:38 AM
Nice work man. This is pretty common knowledge among we networking nerds. I have 3 wireless bridges sitting around my house. Any wireless bridge works well. I bought a $30 router off ebay and turned into a kickass bridge.
bimmerd00d has like 3 of these and one functions as his modded xbox's wireless bridge. His modded xbox is like his media center for his TV. It plays any video file and has a 250gb hard drive. We're working on modding mine too.

Yeah, I have the clear XBOX with a 250gb as well (mainly as a RMVB player), but it was never networked due to remote location... and I never played nwconnect or kai anyhow :| Plus, my PVR has it's own wireless adapter. I only fancied this because I wanted to see that XBOX Live Arcade gave... and was sorely disappointed mind you! :(