PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestion about this car (Urgent)

Akhil
01-24-2006, 12:50 PM
Hi Guys.

I looking into a 740iL. Here is the URL http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=195093256
. This car is going to California tomorrow, so I have to decide whether to buy it or not by tomorrow. Price is going to be about $12,500 to $13,000. Can you guys suggest me what to look for in this car and what are the important thing I should be checking before finalizing this deal, if at all? What do you think about the price based on mileage and condition of car?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Akhil

Torque
01-24-2006, 01:00 PM
I have no idea what to look for other than the obvious BMW things: bushings, cooling system, tranny.

From what I can tell from the pics, it looks like it's in great condition. I'd love a e38 ... there's a 97 740i near me for 6900; too bad I don't have money.

tim
01-24-2006, 01:10 PM
I can't give you a definitive list, but I have a '99 540iT and most of the things will apply.

Cooling system (rad, h2o pump, t-stat, hoses need to have been replaced by now or are going to need it soon.

Belts should be newish or plan to do it yourself.

This year is notorious for ABS Control Module failure due to a misengineered module from Bosch. Easy fix- get the module refurbished by module master. If the DSC, Check engine, Brake and ABS lights are all on, then its that, no matter what the code says.

The M62 is a stud, so if it's been cared for and maintained, you could maybe change the plugs or something, but otherwise it's going to be fine. 740il's typically won't see the same level of engine wear that you would see on a 540i, I think due to the difference in the typical driver of each car.

Make absolutely sure all the climate control features work. Pixels on the check control tend to go out on this model.

The transmission needs to look and shift perfectly. If theres any dried oil around it, or any awkward shifting, run.

These cars are real cheap used for what they are. The ones that were owned by older folks and routinely dealer serviced are a steal.

Akhil
01-24-2006, 01:29 PM
Thanks a lot all your response. I will look for all you guys list here + any thing I could think of.

Once again Thank You.
Akhil