PDA

View Full Version : Odd Vibration/Noise Need Help!

Herb98CQB
01-23-2006, 05:53 PM
Guys, I have the following problem. I have a 1993 525iT with about 122k on it. A few days ago I started noticing a strange whine, it increases with speed, but goes away when turning to the Right, and louder during Left turns. I also get a very strange vibration between about 50-60 MPH. It gets bad, then goes away when I reach 60MPH. At first I thought the whine might have been the diff, but with the noise dependent on which way I'm turning threw me off (maybe Wheel Bearing?). As far as the vibration, it always happens regardless of time of day, and how warmed up it is. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Herb

rob101
01-23-2006, 05:59 PM
Could be Right wheel bearing. had the same but it wasn't a whine more like rumble road noise like sound.

calmloki
01-23-2006, 06:42 PM
Right wheel bearing sounds correct to me - a right turn loads the left wheel bearing and removes load from the right - so the noise from the sub-optimal right bearing goes away. A vibration between 50 and 60 sounds like wheel balance to me - try swapping front and rear mounted tires to see if the problem goes away. You feel it in the steering wheel, right?
Tom Walrod

Herb98CQB
01-23-2006, 06:46 PM
Tom, it is felt in the steering wheel. I put my other set of wheels on, same effect, and they were brand new.

rob101
01-23-2006, 06:51 PM
Tom, it is felt in the steering wheel. I put my other set of wheels on, same effect, and they were brand new.
the vibration is probably a seperate problem, sounds like thrust arm bushes are in need of replacement :( does it happen worse when you brake at that speed?

mattyb
01-24-2006, 02:15 AM
what sort of noise? maybe centre bearing

632 Regal
01-24-2006, 02:26 AM
lug nuts tight? check them!
stupid thought but I saw it happen before, especially that sudden and drastic on turns.

Dave M
01-24-2006, 07:07 AM
lug nuts tight? check them!
stupid thought but I saw it happen before, especially that sudden and drastic on turns.

Ha, maybe you saw my VW lose a wheel at 100km/h. I thought I went through yet another cv joint, so ignored it. -30 Celcius on a 1500 km drive when all four bolts sheared off. Got exteremely lucky, did a 360, no damage, just had to extract the remnants at roadside and borrow a bolt from each other wheel to finish the trip.

Memories.....

Dave M

calmloki
01-24-2006, 09:58 AM
Herb,
Vibration within a small speed range, especially in the 50-60 MPH range, still sounds like balance to me. Perhaps cleaning the male and female mounting ring areas and using extra care when torquing the lug nuts? I like the idea of a front to rear swap just to get you some more options, otherwise I'm coming up dry. Keep us posted...
Tom

632 Regal
01-24-2006, 01:07 PM
ahhh...fun times.
Ha, maybe you saw my VW lose a wheel at 100km/h. I thought I went through yet another cv joint, so ignored it. -30 Celcius on a 1500 km drive when all four bolts sheared off. Got exteremely lucky, did a 360, no damage, just had to extract the remnants at roadside and borrow a bolt from each other wheel to finish the trip.

Memories.....

Dave M