PDA

View Full Version : starter gave out?

kyleN20
01-23-2006, 04:48 PM
havent drove my car in a week or so, so i went out today to start it and let it warm up before i took off to class, about 35 degrees outside.

i turn the key and i just hear the starter turning, its NEVER done this before, and it sounds very weird, i have battery power, and i think the "arm" is coming out, im thinking that the gears are striped or broke or somthing? having a hard time figuring this one out.

let me know what you think, i never heard anything that sounded like gears being broke so i dont know

thanks a ton

kyle

DanDombrowski
01-23-2006, 05:05 PM
Your battery is dead.

632 Regal
01-23-2006, 05:23 PM
sounds like the stator (or whatever its called) busted ot the selenoid isnt kicking the gear into the flywheel. You might be able to take it apart, clan and grease it and it may work again. Other than that you might need to get another one.

kyleN20
01-23-2006, 08:38 PM
nope, i think i stated that i had power, ample power, if i dident then no, the battery isnt dead

shogun
01-23-2006, 09:05 PM
If the battery is not strong enough, you will just hear this whirring but the starter solenoid with not engage. Check the battery first.

kyleN20
01-23-2006, 09:58 PM
hummmmm, this is interesting, but i did have radion and other functions, ill throw a charger on it, thanks for the tip, it is a whiriling sound and this makes the most sence because its not like the gears would strip after 16 years or perfect use