PDA

View Full Version : Tire balance

Ted K
01-23-2006, 12:32 AM
I once heard or read something about tire balance. I general it spoke about how all tires have somewhat of a high spot and all rims do too. The rim high spot was at the valve stem an most tires had a mark on them. Any one have any info on this or am I dreaming?

Kalevera
01-23-2006, 01:03 AM
From the factory, most tires have a spot of ink on the sidewall where the valve stem is supposed to line up. Some don't do this...I think the last set I did without a mark were Pirelli 19s for an X5...Diamandis 285s or somethings. From everything I've learned, it doesn't really matter if the marks are aligned, the wheel with either balance out or it won't...the weight difference doesn't matter.

best, whit

Rigmaster
01-23-2006, 01:10 AM
The mark on NEW tires is supposed to be where the tire is the "heaviest", you should line this mark up with the hole where the valve stem is because (theoretically anyway...) this is where the wheel is the "lightest".

But, like Whit said- I don't think it matters much, as the balancer will balance out the wheel/tire combo....

If you are having trouble getting your tires balanced, find a shop that has a Hunter "roadforce" balancer. I used to think these things were just another gimmick to get more $$$ out of my pocket, but they really do seem to work, especially for sensitive front ends like on E34's.....

Bret.

Ted K
01-23-2006, 01:12 PM
Iam having trouble with just one. They have used a lot more weirgt to balance it. Noe the car ha a slight pull to that side. Would this be a factor?

632 Regal
01-23-2006, 02:58 PM
the tires most likly out of round. Check the air pressures too. One time i had 1 tire replaced and that made the car pull.