PDA

View Full Version : Glazed Brake Pads

dave b
01-22-2006, 03:05 PM
Is my only real option to solve this to replace the pads and rotors? They feel glazed and a little slick after 3 years of LA's stop and go driving. I checked the other day and there's still a lot of pad life left, but I feel as though my braking performance has decreased. I'd rather not do a whole brake job though. Any suggestions along the lines of an Italian tuneup that would do the job?

Thanks,
Dave

Jay 535i
01-22-2006, 03:25 PM
You could try repeating the bed-in procedure.

A few months ago I was reading an article by Georg Kacher (a relatively well-known European motor journalist) who had a similar complaint with his Audi. Someone suggested to him he try a series of threshold braking manouvers from 60 MPH. He was skeptical, but reported great results.

If you think you're going to have to replace your brakes anyway, it can't hurt to try.

632 Regal
01-22-2006, 05:30 PM
it even says in the owners manual to brake HARD several times every once in a while to prevent this.

dave b
01-22-2006, 06:55 PM
it even says in the owners manual to brake HARD several times every once in a while to prevent this.

Looks like I'm taking the deserted route to work in the morning....

Jay 535i
01-22-2006, 10:21 PM
Let us know if it helps.

632 Regal
01-22-2006, 10:43 PM
first couple stops might be a hard peddle then the next should get softer with better stops...the smell of brake pads is a normal entity of rebedding pads (and 1st bedding).