PDA

View Full Version : Question About M50 Intake Connection.....

Dave M
01-22-2006, 01:35 PM
Got around to cleaning the M50 intake and changing gaskets, O-rings etc. I puzzled by the fitment of the part shown below (PN 11 61 1730 265). It fits into the back of the intake opposite the throttle body, but flops all over the place when clipped in, even with the new O-ring. Only one side of this baby should clip correct? If memory serves, then I imagine the upward pressure placed on the fitting by the connection of the curved hose at the other end might hold it more firmly shut. Still, it doesn'y seem right. What do you think?

Sorry about the image size

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Bimmer/Misc/Intake_Conn_ETK.jpg

Thanks,

Dave M

Jon K
01-22-2006, 02:33 PM
That is the plastic intermediary between the manifold and the idle control valve. The small nipple leads to the crank case ventilation track up near that cam cover. As far as I know, it should not flop around. This could mean your intermediary pipe is broken or the manifold mount point is broken. Check it out, do you have idle issues?

632 Regal
01-22-2006, 02:47 PM
i dont think he has idle yet...

Jon K
01-22-2006, 02:52 PM
True. I'd check mine, but its sorta hidden by massive intake work.

ryan roopnarine
01-22-2006, 07:08 PM
take what i say with a grain of salt (ie if you do this, have a spare clip, or be prepared to get a new one).

it does flop around when its somewhat "in". you have to force it in some more until it "clicks" and positively engages. it will be relatively immobile once it is pushed in as it needs be. be sure that the clip is going in straight, first, if it is flopping around right now.

ktteoh
01-22-2006, 07:45 PM
why is there 2 pipes for the crankcase ventilation - one leading to the a big nipple just before the throttle body and one leading to a small nipple after the idle control valve connection to the manifold (as in diagram below)

i have added a small k/n filter breather to the big nipple before throttle body - can i just close off the small nipple to the icv connection then ?

Got around to cleaning the M50 intake and changing gaskets, O-rings etc. I puzzled by the fitment of the part shown below (PN 11 61 1730 265). It fits into the back of the intake opposite the throttle body, but flops all over the place when clipped in, even with the new O-ring. Only one side of this baby should clip correct? If memory serves, then I imagine the upward pressure placed on the fitting by the connection of the curved hose at the other end might hold it more firmly shut. Still, it doesn'y seem right. What do you think?

Sorry about the image size

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Bimmer/Misc/Intake_Conn_ETK.jpg

Thanks,

Dave M

Jon K
01-22-2006, 09:58 PM
Yes you should technically close off the smaller nipple. Cap the nipple at the top (Crank case vent top side) and plug the 1/8" hose coming frmo the ICV line. The small 1/8" is there to draw oil vapors out with vacuum at idle. The ICV itself does not allow the engine to pull enough vacuum through the pre-throttle body plumbing to cause much vacuum on the crank case vent alone, so they put a vacuum line that leads right up to the vent.

Dave M
01-23-2006, 12:00 AM
take what i say with a grain of salt (ie if you do this, have a spare clip, or be prepared to get a new one).

it does flop around when its somewhat "in". you have to force it in some more until it "clicks" and positively engages. it will be relatively immobile once it is pushed in as it needs be. be sure that the clip is going in straight, first, if it is flopping around right now.

Thanks Ryan, but I've got the engine in pieces with the intake flipped over on my workbench and the offending connector fully exposed. I can see everything and it seems odd as 'its all there' and nothing appears to be broken. The single clip is fully engaged, but the thing still flops around. Intuitively, it would seem wise to have two clips holding the connector on to the manifold, but i wasn't on the design team...... was I? Nope :) If you happen to have skinny arms and an excuse to jam your arm under your manifold for me, let me know if you feel any play.

Maybe I'll take a pic tomorrow and resurect the post. I owe the group an update on the whole project anyway,

Later,

Dave M

Dave M
01-23-2006, 12:08 AM
That is the plastic intermediary between the manifold and the idle control valve. The small nipple leads to the crank case ventilation track up near that cam cover. As far as I know, it should not flop around. This could mean your intermediary pipe is broken or the manifold mount point is broken. Check it out, do you have idle issues?

Jeff’s right, I don't have idle yet. At this pace it'll be a while before I turn the key, but all's well :) As for the idle, before disabling the thing, it was a steady 700 rpm and had vacuum at the oil filler cap.

As for the plastic connector itself, I've inspected this thing for broken bits or cracks to no avail. I've connected it many times, changed the O-ring etc, with no luck.

Thanks for the reply,

Dave M

ryan roopnarine
01-23-2006, 12:09 AM
its a weird design, dave. im not trying to insult your intelligence, there. i put it on with the intake manifold on, and i found that there is one "engage" position, where the clip engages, but it still flops around, and one "hard push" position beyond that, where the o ring finally seats, and the assembly no longer moves. i know how much play is in there, because i put it on with the intake manifold on. let me say, that i have no lower mounting ring for my icv, but the nipple you are having an issue with is in there solidly (ie, no movement when inserted fully) to hold the icv and its hose up (and that assembly is somewhat significant and weighty). i took the icv and hose off a second time in july/august, and it still didn't have any play then. i know that the design doesn't LOOK substantial enough to "clip" firmly in place, but it did once i seated it properly and pushed it on with enough force.

ryan roopnarine
01-23-2006, 12:14 AM
sorry, there is some play in there, but it is rather insignificant. it is like 2-3 mm along the rotational circumference of the nipple. really not much at all.

Jon K
01-23-2006, 12:46 AM
My manifold sees 9.5 psi of boost - i assume the clip is adequate to hold that, since I continuously make 9.5 psi.

Dave M
01-23-2006, 06:51 AM
its a weird design, dave. im not trying to insult your intelligence, there. i put it on with the intake manifold on, and i found that there is one "engage" position, where the clip engages, but it still flops around, and one "hard push" position beyond that, where the o ring finally seats, and the assembly no longer moves. i know how much play is in there, because i put it on with the intake manifold on. let me say, that i have no lower mounting ring for my icv, but the nipple you are having an issue with is in there solidly (ie, no movement when inserted fully) to hold the icv and its hose up (and that assembly is somewhat significant and weighty). i took the icv and hose off a second time in july/august, and it still didn't have any play then. i know that the design doesn't LOOK substantial enough to "clip" firmly in place, but it did once i seated it properly and pushed it on with enough force.

No offence taken. If its a case of pushing harder, I can be smart like tractor ;) After work this evening, while the country decides you our new Prime Minister will be, I'll go out to try again and take pics.

Thanks again,

Dave M