PDA

View Full Version : Seafoam

Alexlind123
01-21-2006, 10:18 PM
Some of you may remember my thread about my engine ticking. I took it to an indy mechanic that my parents have known and used for a long while. He used his stethoscope to listen to the noise and determined that it was either injector 5 or 6 that was clogged/dirty/whatever and that it has a slight miss as well. He reccomended that i use seafoam in the gas tank. I bought some seafoam on the way home and poured it in the 3/4 full tank when i got home.

I will post the results as my tank of fuel burns :D

tim
01-21-2006, 10:23 PM
I use it on all motors. great stuff.

Incantation
01-22-2006, 01:57 AM
what's seafoam?

Kalevera
01-22-2006, 02:53 AM
I can practically guarantee you that the noise isn't injector related.

Did he hook the car up to a diagnostic computer and fired the injectors?

best, whit

Alexlind123
01-22-2006, 02:58 AM
I adjusted the valves last month, the eccentrics were all tight.

Alexlind123
01-22-2006, 03:00 AM
I can practically guarantee you that the noise isn't injector related.

Did he hook the car up to a diagnostic computer and fired the injectors?

best, whit

What do you think the noise is then?

ILoveMPower
01-22-2006, 07:24 AM
I was going to recommend adjusting the valves, but then I noticed you have already done that. My M30 has a tick as well that I assumed was the valves. Let me know how the seafoam does!

tim
01-22-2006, 08:43 AM
For the benefit of those inexperienced with seafoam: Seafoam is mostly acetone- or so I'm told- the formula has been around forever.

On two stroke outboards, everyone uses it to dislodge carbon and burnt oil from the combustion chamber. Usually, we take the plugs out and pour in right on top of the pistons, let it sit for awhile, then start it up. You wouldn't believe the smoke! But the pistons and the chamber are gleaming after this move. On a two stroke this is a twice a year deal, in the fall, right before fogging in the motor, and again in the spring on launch.

The risk on an old car is that so much crap comes out you plug up the cat, although I've never seen this.

On a car (like my 540i for example), what I do is wait until my tank is down to the last gallon, then put in a whole bottle. Then drive real hard, and change the oil after. Beats techron, and cheaper.

I use the stuff much more aggresively though. When I first bought the 540, I disconnected the fuel rail inlet hose, and put a 50/50 solution of gas and seafoam inline. Then I jumped the starter motor on the diag. connector to get the motor to draw it in without firing. After letting it sit for about 5min, I started it (again- be prepared for the amount of smoke!), and drove it hard. Totally transformed the car (in a good way).

It says on the can that you can put it in the crankcase and it will clean your pcv but I wouldn't. Best bet in the crankcase is to put a half a quart of ATF in with your next change. It'll really clean things up, and the ATF holds it in suspension, rather than having crap cake up in dark corners.