PDA

View Full Version : Gonna try to rebuild tranny

Mr. BILL
03-12-2004, 11:03 PM
The transmission started slipping in my '90 525iA w/ 185K on it. The car had sat for several months and I was hoping maybe a bunch of crap had settled into the bottom of the sump and got sucked up into the filter and clogged it, causing the problem.

So I drained the fluid, put in a new filter and fluid...no improvement. I saw Winfred's excellent post on replacing the teflon seals and A clutch pack. Bolstered by that, I'm thinking of giving it a whirl. I'm a pretty good DIY'er and I figure if it doesn't work I'm only out some time, busted knuckles and a few bucks.

Someone posted on Winfred's post that the proceedure is also covered in the TIS. I have a copy, but I can't find the repair,#240387000. Can anyone forward one to me?

Two final questions. First, is there anything missing in Winfred's post I need to know? Lastly, is it possible the slipping problem coud be caused by the lever (I think it's called a control lever) on the driver side of the case, being loose? I noticed the nut that secures the lever to the case was loose. I tightened it, but no inprovement. I was wondering if it might have slipped causing the problem.

Thanks in advance.

632 Regal
03-14-2004, 02:56 AM
I remember the very first trans I did, kinda worked when I was done and worked well by the 4th time I redid it. Back in them days there wasnt cool things like internet and the 'books' were indeed non forthcoming. One thing worth mentioning is to keep all the parts the same side up as you disassemble on plenty of newspaper, take lots of pictures and make notes on the wierd things, the angles of the sealing rings etc. All in all it is just a big gray mysterybox that needs someone to tear out it's insides and replace them with something newer...kinda like X old ladies or something.

Good luck on your quest!!!

Mr. BILL
03-14-2004, 05:31 PM
Thanks,