PDA

View Full Version : Best front toe-in for stock tires?

Russell
01-21-2006, 02:32 PM
Does anyone have any front end toe-in specs besides factory that they are using on their e-34 with stock wheels and tires? 95 525i with 225x60x15 on basketweave wheels.

I am wondering if a different front end alignment would help prevent trambalining (spelling?) or wandering a bit?

For that matter, I am not sure what the stock spec is. I have relied on my tire store to know what is correct. Since my car came with 205x65x15. I wonder they are using the correct spec now that I have changed the tires to what a 540i would have?

Yes I did a quick check of the archives. Did not see what I needed.
As usual, thanks in advance

Rigmaster
01-21-2006, 06:08 PM
I would go with stock spec (and I don't know exactly what that is off the top of my head- I'm pretty sure it's toed in slightly..). Any tire/alignment shop should have the correct specs for your car. THe change from 205/65R15's to 225/60R15's should not have much, if any, effect on the toe setting.

If the car is tramlining, you could ask the shop to set the toe in just slightly more than it is now and see what happens- a bit more toe in should not have a negative effect on tire wear. Also want to make sure there are no worn parts (tie rod ends, etc) that could be causing the car to wander.

Bret.

genphreak
01-22-2006, 05:46 AM
I would go with stock spec (and I don't know exactly what that is off the top of my head- I'm pretty sure it's toed in slightly..). Any tire/alignment shop should have the correct specs for your car. THe change from 205/65R15's to 225/60R15's should not have much, if any, effect on the toe setting. If the car is tramlining, you could ask the shop to set the toe in just slightly more than it is now and see what happens- a bit more toe in should not have a negative effect on tire wear. Also want to make sure there are no worn parts (tie rod ends, etc) that could be causing the car to wander. Bret.Stock toe angle is 0 degrees 18 minutes (+/- 5'). :) Nick