PDA

View Full Version : What to Look for on a e34 540 6spd 95

unregisterd
03-12-2004, 10:02 PM
I will start to look for a 95 540i 6spd at the end of summer, and i was wondering what do i need to look for when buying one. I heard there is a issue with the engine its the same with the 530i. And also whats the reasnoble price that i should be looking for with arround 100,000 miles. I will be looking for a black/black but if there is another color that looks ok i may also buy it. But black on black is what i want. If it takes me 6 months to find one i will wait, its worth it.

Mr. BILL
03-12-2004, 10:46 PM
Check out Bruno's www.E34.net His site will answer 95% of what to expect/look for. I think there's also a link to a 530 or 540 site that will explain the engine block problem. The general consencus is if it, (M60 engine used in 530/540) hasn't been replaced, you are playing Russian Roulette. Some have had the problem, some haven't. There are folks around here with 150K+ miles with no problems. Others had problems as early as 50-60K.

Best advice is, be careful, do your homework and don't even think of buying one without past history. These are excetionally great drivers, particularly the 540, it's a beast. I have two E34's and almost bought a '94 540, but it had the origional engine, so I passed.

I ended up with a '97 E39 528, not as fun to drive as the E34, but a fine highway cruiser. Good luck. Oh, as far as price, I'd say between $8-10K for a nice one would be about right.

DueyT
03-12-2004, 11:18 PM
I will start to look for a 95 540i 6spd at the end of summer, and i was wondering what do i need to look for when buying one. I heard there is a issue with the engine its the same with the 530i. And also whats the reasnoble price that i should be looking for with arround 100,000 miles. I will be looking for a black/black but if there is another color that looks ok i may also buy it. But black on black is what i want. If it takes me 6 months to find one i will wait, its worth it.
Welcome! As noted by Mr. Bill try Bruno's site, then have a quick look at this thread (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=741&highlight=540i%2F6). Should provide a bit of info for your consideration.

Cheers,
Duey