PDA

View Full Version : Thrust Arms

Kobe Diesel
01-20-2006, 07:03 PM
After having dealt with clunking noise in the front end, I just finished installing new arms and bushings on both sides. This task is easy as long as you have a pitman puller that will fit in there.

Followed the commonly given advice on this forum to use 750 bushings.

No more "clunk". But noticed that the boots on the tie-end rods are torn.
Another item for the "TO DO" list.

Alexlind123
01-20-2006, 07:56 PM
Congrats! :D I installed new 750 bushings on my thrust arms, and i think i will have to replace another suspension part soon, only im not sure which one :s

93 525 Paul
01-22-2006, 05:58 PM
noticed that the boots on the tie-end rods are torn.

Mine are torn and the parts store POS boots just don't seem pliable enough to do anything. What are you going to do on yours?

Jon K
01-23-2006, 01:17 AM
After having dealt with clunking noise in the front end, I just finished installing new arms and bushings on both sides. This task is easy as long as you have a pitman puller that will fit in there.

Followed the commonly given advice on this forum to use 750 bushings.

No more "clunk". But noticed that the boots on the tie-end rods are torn.

My 750 bushings lasted a whole 7k miles before shimmying again. I switched to Grunts polyurethane bushings.

Mendozart
01-23-2006, 01:35 AM
Hey Jon, how long have you had the Grunts in? How are they holding up?

Jon K
01-23-2006, 01:41 AM
I think about 20k miles. Holding up perfectly. Car drives dramatically different than my sisters '95 530 on 750 bushings, but I like it.

Kobe Diesel
01-23-2006, 10:31 AM
Mine are torn and the parts store POS boots just don't seem pliable enough to do anything. What are you going to do on yours?

For the price of new tie rods being reasonable, Im going to change them out for new. In the mean time, I filled the boots up with some grease just to keep some lubrication in there until new parts arrive later this week.

Kobe Diesel
01-23-2006, 10:39 AM
After taking a close look at the front suspension geometry, you will notice it is a trapezoid shaped system. You have the control arm and thrust arm both tieing into the steering plate at two different points, rather than one pivot point as found on other vehicle makes. So where does the strain end up at? The bushings - they will take the beating. The passenger side bushing was squeezing out of the arm in little strips. The driver side bushing was just starting to go.

Jon K, after your comment on the 750 bushings only lasting 7k miles, I will keep a close eye on them in the miles to come. Being that I only drive the vehicle maybe 6k miles per year it might last longer, but all things do come to an end. Ill keep it in my notes to try the polyeurethane bushings when replacement is needed.

Thnx.