PDA

View Full Version : A few questions...

E34 530
01-20-2006, 05:59 PM
Hey guys. Before I ask a few questions, I just want to let you know that my search function hasn't worked in the last 2 months. My internet is also on the fritz because wirless routers suck. I am going to install a new hard drive next week, so hopefully these problems will be resolved.

Questions..

I am going to do my first oil change on my 530. I'm not sure if the PO used synthetic oil, is it alright if I use Mobil 1 synthetic even if he didn't use synthetic?? I have been told that if you switch from regular to synthetic or vice versa you can blow seals, gaskets, etc. (I know that the guy always took the car to the dealer to get things replaced, or for service, etc, so it leads me to believe it probably has always had synthetic.)

I took my oil filter off and saw that the top was metal, not plastic. Do I need to buy some kind of adaptor for the new metal filter?

How much torque do I put on the oil filter cap?

I am planning on putting 8 quarts of M1 0w-40 into the car. This is the correct amount right?

Last but not least, I just topped off the power steering fluid. Do I put the fluid right up to underneath the strainer or above the strainer??

This is the stuff that I used. Not one word of English on the whole container lol

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a314/ripcurl530/2006_0115Image0001.jpg

Thanks, Andrew

Paul in NZ
01-20-2006, 09:05 PM
you can switch to synthetic without fear.,dont know about the power steer fluid,only that if it requires chf it says on the resevoir...right?
Nice lookin carBTW :)

632 Regal
01-20-2006, 11:13 PM
is it alright if I use Mobil 1 synthetic even if he didn't use synthetic??
Yes

Do I need to buy some kind of adaptor for the new metal filter?
Yes

snug it up, the rubber O ring seals the canister.

I am planning on putting 8 quarts of M1 0w-40 into the car. This is the correct amount right?
Yes

Last but not least, I just topped off the power steering fluid. Do I put the fluid right up to underneath the strainer or above the strainer??
I dont have a strainer but I measured it from the dipstick, its almost exactly 1 inch below the top of the threads.

This is the stuff that I used. Not one word of English on the whole container thatd be the right stuff.

Traian
01-21-2006, 12:26 AM
The last few oil changes my car had were at Mr. Lube (that's a rather odd name I think) till I got her, and I've been running Mobil 1 since with no probs or leaks whatsoever. (having said that, there's gonna be a oily mess under my car in the morning guaranteed). Check the dipstick after you refill about 6 quarts, as you're not going to be draining all the oil out, and add more as necessary. Just a little precaution imo. That is the right PS fluid too, did you source it from the dealer?

632 Regal
01-21-2006, 01:19 AM
530 & 540 require 8 qts.
The last few oil changes my car had were at Mr. Lube (that's a rather odd name I think) till I got her, and I've been running Mobil 1 since with no probs or leaks whatsoever. (having said that, there's gonna be a oily mess under my car in the morning guaranteed). Check the dipstick after you refill about 6 quarts, as you're not going to be draining all the oil out, and add more as necessary. Just a little precaution imo. That is the right PS fluid too, did you source it from the dealer?

uscharalph
01-21-2006, 04:00 AM
Hey guys. Before I ask a few questions, I just want to let you know that my search function hasn't worked in the last 2 months. My internet is also on the fritz because wirless routers suck. I am going to install a new hard drive next week, so hopefully these problems will be resolved.

Questions..

I am going to do my first oil change on my 530. I'm not sure if the PO used synthetic oil, is it alright if I use Mobil 1 synthetic even if he didn't use synthetic?? I have been told that if you switch from regular to synthetic or vice versa you can blow seals, gaskets, etc. (I know that the guy always took the car to the dealer to get things replaced, or for service, etc, so it leads me to believe it probably has always had synthetic.)

I took my oil filter off and saw that the top was metal, not plastic. Do I need to buy some kind of adaptor for the new metal filter?

This is the stuff that I used. Not one word of English on the whole container lol

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a314/ripcurl530/2006_0115Image0001.jpg

Thanks, Andrew
When I switched from dino oil to Mobil 1 synthetic, I had a very slight leak for about a month. The seal has gotten used to synthetic oil now and no more leak.

E34 530
01-21-2006, 12:29 PM
Thanks to everyone who responded. Do I need to buy the oil filter canister o-ring listed at the top of this BMA page??

http://bmaparts.com/epcvsoapimc.epc?cookieID=1PR0QO1RQ1PR0QOB4E&drillid=8&subcatid=800993@@Oil+System&clientid=bmaparts

Also, I have heard of the adaptor for the metal cannister, but what is the adaptor used for? I was able to get the filter out last time to check to see if it was metal or not with no problems or an adaptor. Is the adaptor used to fit on the new filter??

E34 530
01-21-2006, 12:33 PM
you can switch to synthetic without fear.,dont know about the power steer fluid,only that if it requires chf it says on the resevoir...right?
Nice lookin carBTW :)

Yes, it says what kind of PS fluid is on the cap. MIne happens to be OEL 11. e or something like that. Thanks for the kind words.

E34 530
01-21-2006, 12:34 PM

Yes, it is from the dealer. I think it was $23, not too bad.

632 Regal
01-21-2006, 01:35 PM
the oil ring comes with the filter and a new drain plug copper washer.

The adapter fits inside the new filter, it's plastic, press it into the canister and done. You re-use them each time you put a new filter in...I think the adapter was under $10.00

E34 530
01-21-2006, 01:58 PM
Where do I find this adaptor? Sorry if I sound like a dumbass, but if I have the metal oil filter shouldn't I already have the adaptor to make it fit???
Thanks, Andrew

632 Regal
01-21-2006, 08:12 PM
Okay, the metal filter is the original style, its old school. get the filter with the plastic ends, common item. Let me see if I can find a part number for the dildo and either you can source it from your favorite vendor or google it...

BRB

632 Regal
01-21-2006, 08:15 PM
#19...11421745392

"Supporting dome"

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE23&mospid=47406&btnr=11_1090&hg=11&fg=30