PDA

View Full Version : painting wheels

derick
01-20-2006, 02:08 PM
i have my wheels off and had the bright idea to paint them and get them looking new again. I was searching all over the internet (and search function here ) and everyone seems to do it diffrently. Some people seem to sand blast first while other just use 320 grit sand paper. Others start by using aircraft stripper first to remove the clear coat.

Then some use 2 coats of paint while others use like 5. same for the clear. Some dont even bother priming.:( anyone here know how to do this properly at all. I don't want to be redoing this thing every year.

Thanks in advance

632 Regal
01-20-2006, 03:38 PM
LOL, try all the methods and the one that lasts longest is the winner?
What wheels are you planning on refinishing?

SharkmanBMW
01-20-2006, 03:49 PM
i have my wheels off and had the bright idea to paint them and get them looking new again. I was searching all over the internet (and search function here ) and everyone seems to do it diffrently. Some people seem to sand blast first while other just use 320 grit sand paper. Others start by using aircraft stripper first to remove the clear coat.

Then some use 2 coats of paint while others use like 5. same for the clear. Some dont even bother priming.:( anyone here know how to do this properly at all. I don't want to be redoing this thing every year.

Thanks in advance

Go to this link and see the thread on repairs... it should give you some info on paint type...
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=17588