PDA

View Full Version : Heater core fix question

Jay 535i
01-20-2006, 12:33 PM
I have the infamous foggy-windsheild-and-funny-coolant-smell when I turn the heat on.

The windshield fogs up ONLY on the driver's side. The passenger's side is perfectly fine.

I wonder if this tells me anything useful about where I should start looking for the problem?

DaCan23
01-20-2006, 12:41 PM
Where this problem usually comes from is the connections of the pipes to the heater core.

Its a sucky job but not that bad.

Jay 535i
01-20-2006, 01:13 PM
Where this problem usually comes from is the connections of the pipes to the heater core.

Its a sucky job but not that bad.

Right, well, I'm hoping that it is indeed one of the connections and not the core itself, and I was hoping that the driver's side only fogging was an indication of where I should start looking.

I've read up on the replacement procedure and a buddy and I are prepared to tackle it when the weather improves, but in the meantime I was hoping to localize the problem a little more so that maybe I won't have to remove the whole dashboard.

DaCan23
01-20-2006, 02:25 PM
Well replacing the lines are just as much work, and it's usually because the plastic part on the core that accepts the connection has deteriorated. But unless $$$ is an issue, you'd sure hate to have to tear into it again if your fix didnt last or the core did go bad.

Jay 535i
01-20-2006, 02:36 PM
Well replacing the lines are just as much work, and it's usually because the plastic part on the core that accepts the connection has deteriorated. But unless $$$ is an issue, you'd sure hate to have to tear into it again if your fix didnt last or the core did go bad.

Well, my understanding is that the core is reasonably priced, so I guess I'll replace everything in there. Thanks.