PDA

View Full Version : heat through defrost vents but not through cabin vents

notesguy
01-20-2006, 08:28 AM
Heat is coming out of the vents by the windows - I think that's the defrost vents - and the foot vents. But only cold air is coming out of the vents that blow directly on you.

There's a dial on direct vents with blue and red. I turn it to red and it still only blows cold.

Any ideas?

tim
01-20-2006, 08:51 AM
the defrost vents are on the top of the dash, an inch or so behind the windshield. The top register, above the register with the wheel control, corresponds to the top lever on the climate control; the middle one controls the wheel one and the ones that go through the doors, and the bottom lever controls the footwells and the rear.

Make sure all the climate control levers are over to the right, and the wheel is all the way up into the red. Turn it on and check for heat. Now close the top and bottom lever, and close the vents on the doors using the thumbwheel.

If any air is coming out now, it should be hot. If not, perhaps the bowden cable that cotrols the flap has detached, or perhaps one of the stepper motors has gone out.

NovceGuru
01-20-2006, 09:22 AM
Well my car blows cold out the center console for the back seats, thats why theres a blanket back there ;)

Russell
01-20-2006, 11:53 AM
Close the vent! it is supposed to allow fresh air only. Rear seat heat is though the vents under the front seats. Please read your manual if you have it. If not get a manual on e-bay or dealer.

Bill R.
01-20-2006, 12:05 PM
vent is only for fresh air, not heated at all... the center duct in the dash has a combo of fresh and heated and the others provide heated..http://www.lehrmangroup.com/rickard/e34p12.jpg

Jersey General
01-20-2006, 12:21 PM
Well that expalins it then. I always wondered why the air was cold. I have a manual, bu t i must have skipped that part.

Torque
01-20-2006, 12:26 PM
Let there be color: :D
http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9708/airdistribution2my.jpg

Jay 535i
01-20-2006, 01:16 PM
Yeah, that's normal.

It's part of BMW's "stratified" air system. The theory is that you've got warm air coming out of most places to keep the interior cozy, but cool air on your face to keep you awake.

If you don't want the cool breeze just close off the face-level vents 'til spring.

NovceGuru
01-20-2006, 05:40 PM
Thats nifty, I remember seeing that now, *dumbass*

Qube
01-20-2006, 06:25 PM
Of course I surmise that if the climate control is set to cool, then all the vents will have cool air regardless... right? It's just the warming that is selective...

Paul in NZ
01-21-2006, 03:19 AM
Of course I surmise that if the climate control is set to cool, then all the vents will have cool air regardless... right? It's just the warming that is selective

correct