PDA

View Full Version : Help needed! What bits do I need?

BM-BOY
01-20-2006, 07:24 AM
I am now thinking I might see if I can eliminate the LAD on my car, but what parts would I need?
My garage told me the best thing would be to replace the PS pump with one from a car without LAD, and then replace the shocks/springs. I know someone suggested just looping the system, but my mechanic recons all the LAD pipes need replacing, so to replace the PS pump maybe a better option...?
My questions are:

1) What car(s) can I take a PS pump from?

2) What shocks/springs do I need?

3) Can I just replace the 2 rear shocks/springs or do I have to replace all 4 (please bear in mind this will be a cheap-as-poss fix. If I had the cash I'd be putting coilovers on all 4 corners...)

4) Is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks in advance! (I REALLY want to keep my car, please help me!!)

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
01-20-2006, 04:19 PM
I am now thinking I might see if I can eliminate the LAD on my car, but what parts would I need?
My garage told me the best thing would be to replace the PS pump with one from a car without LAD, and then replace the shocks/springs. I know someone suggested just looping the system, but my mechanic recons all the LAD pipes need replacing, so to replace the PS pump maybe a better option...?
My questions are:

1) What car(s) can I take a PS pump from?

2) What shocks/springs do I need?

3) Can I just replace the 2 rear shocks/springs or do I have to replace all 4 (please bear in mind this will be a cheap-as-poss fix. If I had the cash I'd be putting coilovers on all 4 corners...)

4) Is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks in advance! (I REALLY want to keep my car, please help me!!)

I'd bet the LAD lines are OK in the engine bay. You can loop them there and not need a PS pump. Your car may be differently done than others with LAD, but there's supposed to be a union right near the firewall where you can loop the lines.

You can use rear springs/shocks from any of the heavier E34s without LAD. 535, 530, 540 or whatever. The cheapest route would be a used pair from a breaker's yard. As long as your front dampers are working there's no need to change them right now.

HTH,