PDA

View Full Version : Hhere's how to replace glass hatch struts

calmloki
01-18-2006, 07:37 PM
BMW calls for a special tool, 'cause those struts are buried in the roof. The big clue is that the tool operates by having the end closest to the mech being moved down. The end that is farthest away is a ball and socket setup - pop on, pop off. But which way does the ball face? Observe:
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/calmloki/Glass%20Hatch%20Strut/Strutpin.jpg
See the ball pointing up? It is about 2" inside the circular opening, usually hidden by the grommet. All you need to do is build your own special tool (a ground down cheapy Harbor Freight prybar in my case), push the bar under the strut so that when you pull the handle down it prys against the circular opening and lifts the strut socket off the ball - it's easy peasy - hardly any force required to take it off or put it on. The grommet is key - it locates the strut with the ball. Be sure the socket is at right angles to the piston end hole. Here's my "special tool set", the extendo magnet held the little fly-away clip while I pushed it home. Hope this helps the next guy!
Tom Walrodhttp://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/calmloki/Glass%20Hatch%20Strut/Strtools.jpg

Blitzkrieg Bob
06-20-2006, 11:56 AM
I'll be doing this very soon....

How much did the struts cost???

calmloki
06-20-2006, 12:39 PM
I'll be doing this very soon....

How much did the struts cost???

Learn from my mistake: you don't need to push the rubber seal into the body cavity - just insert screwdriver into the lower part of the rubber pocket and pull handle down to pop off the socket. Pair of struts from autohausAZ: $49.94 as of 12-29-05. Free shipping for orders over $50....
Tom

Blitzkrieg Bob
06-20-2006, 12:49 PM
I noticed the window struts were lazy and I don't want my wife or bioys busting the window when it falls closed.

I just ordered a set from the dealer @ $30.00 each. with new rubber seals too.

I gotta check out the Autohauz and see if they will ship to Hawaii free too.
Most places change extra, even though USPS is almost the same.