PDA

View Full Version : Engine not cranking!

hoodsstalker
01-18-2006, 06:12 PM
I have a 1995 525i with around 130k miles and my engine will not crank.

on saturday the 14th i was driving to the airport to pick up a relative. while on the freeway an SUV hauling a mattress , ejected out onto the freeway , spreading over two lanes , i was unsure if it was the hard wood piece of the mattress used as the base or the soft part with springs that you lay on. none the less , i ran over the mattress and shook my e34 badly , the lower portion of right lip area is cracked as a result.

in the following days on tuesday evening , the 17th , i was returning home on the freeway again , i glanced at my gas gauge and it read empty , for only moments earlier it had a sufficient amount to take me home. confused i exited the freeway and pulled over on the side of the road. i figured if i turned off the engine and turned it back on , it would give me a more accurate read of actaully how much gas i had , (my gauge had a tendency to lie to me , in the past). i turned the engine off and then twisted the trigger to turn it back on, the key turned all the way , but the gauge stayed at empty and the engine didnt crank. i called AAA and went to the gas station. when i returned i put about a gallon and a half into the tank and attempted another start , no crank , no response. the electricity was there , the lights were on , but the engine failed to crank , and the tank still read empty.

Finally the AAA associate arrived and did a light amount of trouble shooting. in conclusion he suggested that my starter had malfunctioned or was broken and needed repairs. i told him about the matress i had run over , and how the car shook badly when i did. he mentioned that if a significant shake were to occur , it could ruin the starter.

does the starter malfunctioning seem like a plausible idea or is there something else being overlooked? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

dacoyote
01-18-2006, 06:18 PM
does the starter malfunctioning seem like a plausible idea ....any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Yes

just to confirm, when you turn the key to the one position the check engine light and the like come on?

hoodsstalker
01-18-2006, 06:57 PM
Yes
when i turn to the one position , both the check engine light and miniauture teapot icon light come on. what is the "like" ?
and when i turn to the 2nd position for the engine to crank , and for the ignition to begin , nothing happens , just me turning the key without the rumble of the engine responding.

632 Regal
01-18-2006, 07:09 PM
teapots are cool...

check the wiring going to the starter if it has voltage when in the crank position, then trace it back to the battery and fusable link.

Javier
01-18-2006, 07:20 PM
Pin 11 (http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/electrical/e36_reset_service_lights.html) of the diagnostic connector when you turn key to Start (engine cranking). It should have about 12 volts. If not, you have issues with the transmission range switch or the starter relay. If you have 12 Vdc there and still no crank, then you have problems with the starter motor (or the battery cable and ground comming in).

Javier

ps: There are 3 positions, Accy, Run, and Start.

teapot icon light come on. what is the "like" ?

You mean the low oil pessure warning light?

632 Regal
01-18-2006, 09:23 PM
javier, you are the man!!!!