PDA

View Full Version : 2.8 Engine Swap into a BMW 325i

muttley
01-18-2006, 05:11 AM
I was wondering if anyone in this forum has ever swapped a late-90's 2.8 liter BMW engine into an early 90's BMW 325i that came stock with a 2.5 liter power-plant ?

Id like to up the horse-power of the car some by making the swap, assuming there is enough room in the engine bay of a 1990 325i for the larger 2.8 L motor, and if the electrical and drive train connections can be made without major surgery to the car body. Is this a practical idea or too problematic to work ? I'd sure be grateful for any pointers.

winfred
01-18-2006, 09:51 AM
i have a buddy who did it (and is about to turbo it now) a m52 328/528 iron block motor is nearly identical to a m50, so handle it like a m50 into e30 swap but you need a couple things from a m50 like wiring harnessand harmonic ballencer (different on m52 and won't work with m50 computer) and you need to drill and tap the head for the 2nd temp sensor or use a m50 head (the boss is there they just combined the two sensors into one) make sure the m52 motor you get has the mount on the timing cover for the crank sensor, most of them had it but it wasn't used they moved the sensor to the back of the back of the block, you need a front sump oil pan and pick up like a 91-95 525. i am thinking about a different and possibly easyer swap on my car, a m30 535 motor, they say you can even use the stock 325i engine harness

Bruno
01-19-2006, 07:29 AM
i have a buddy who did it (and is about to turbo it now) a m52 328/528 iron block motor is nearly identical to a m50, so handle it like a m50 into e30 swap but you need a couple things from a m50 like wiring harnessand harmonic ballencer (different on m52 and won't work with m50 computer) and you need to drill and tap the head for the 2nd temp sensor or use a m50 head (the boss is there they just combined the two sensors into one) make sure the m52 motor you get has the mount on the timing cover for the crank sensor, most of them had it but it wasn't used they moved the sensor to the back of the back of the block, you need a front sump oil pan and pick up like a 91-95 525. i am thinking about a different and possibly easyer swap on my car, a m30 535 motor, they say you can even use the stock 325i engine harness

I am using a M52 2.8l engine in my race car instead of the M50, and I kept the harmonic ballencer from the M52... works perfectly. I was worried about it at the begining but the engine has been balanced so I decided to try it and it works great.

A 335i is the way to go, plenty of torque and power, many info in websites regarding both mods...

winfred
01-19-2006, 09:39 AM
daves car ran like **** with the m52 ballencer, teeth were different so when he put on a m50 unit it was happy

I am using a M52 2.8l engine in my race car instead of the M50, and I kept the harmonic ballencer from the M52... works perfectly. I was worried about it at the begining but the engine has been balanced so I decided to try it and it works great.

A 335i is the way to go, plenty of torque and power, many info in websites regarding both mods...

Bruno
01-19-2006, 09:57 AM
daves car ran like **** with the m52 ballencer, teeth were different so when he put on a m50 unit it was happy

I read that in many forums and I was upset when my new engine was balanced with the M52 balancer... I added my CPS anyway and the engine is running strong (270 engine HP).

I did notice the difference in teeth but my DME or CPS doesn't seem to care about it.