PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on these rims

realness
01-17-2006, 04:52 PM
Hi,

I wanted to get some opinions on these rims. Is this a good buy? Has anyone purchased these before? If so are you satisfied with the quality? If not, Do you think they will look good on e34’s?

Here is the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18-HYPER-SILVER-BMW-3-5-6-7-8-Z-X3-X5-WHEELS-RIMS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43958QQitemZ803040 1400QQrdZ1

angrypancake
01-17-2006, 05:00 PM
I was looking at them too, but $475 seems a little cheap to me. No name ACS knock offs. They would probly look good on your car, assuming they're not made of plastic.

Incantation
01-17-2006, 06:04 PM
any split 5 spoke looks amazing on the e34.. and that was a cheeeap auction.. only bad thing is that the wheels were chrome .. lol

DaCan23
01-17-2006, 06:17 PM
They would look like this, though mine are 17"

http://bagekko.home.comcast.net/dacans_bimmers/Kateland_1.JPG

SRR2
01-17-2006, 06:55 PM
One piece rims with fake 'screws' in them? Yecch. Not only fake screws, but pointless deadweight. All those great 'reviews' sound like they were written by the same illiterate too. Of course, this could just be my ingrained distrust of anythihng having to do with ebay talking. But seriously, if I were going to spend a bunch of money on wheels, I'd either get the real deal or at least something from a reputable supplier like TireRack.

Qube
01-17-2006, 07:34 PM
Quality is suspect but yum!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8030563308&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_IT

I'd rather buy from lakeshorewheelandtire

Kalevera
01-17-2006, 07:52 PM
One piece rims with fake 'screws' in them? Yecch. Not only fake screws, but pointless deadweight. All those great 'reviews' sound like they were written by the same illiterate too. Of course, this could just be my ingrained distrust of anythihng having to do with ebay talking. But seriously, if I were going to spend a bunch of money on wheels, I'd either get the real deal or at least something from a reputable supplier like TireRack.
Steve, any wagers on the percentage of the "cheap **** from china" factor included with every one of those wheels?

I'm not against buying cheap wheels. It's a fine thing to do. But when one of them bends, it's good to know that you can call up tirerack and get another for $70, versus pitching the whole set.

pundit
01-17-2006, 08:02 PM
Steve, any wagers on the percentage of the "cheap **** from china" factor included with every one of those wheels?

I'm not against buying cheap wheels. It's a fine thing to do. But when one of them bends, it's good to know that you can call up tirerack and get another for $70, versus pitching the whole set.
In most cases replacing the stock basketweaves with cheap aftermarket wheels is a backward step in both strength and unsprung weight.
As for the fake screws?... well I guess some think they're cool.
Then there's those fake Brembo caliper covers... :)

Alexlind123
01-17-2006, 08:03 PM
And the fake disc brakes :D

pundit
01-17-2006, 08:10 PM
And the fake disc brakes :D
Here's a set of Brembo Caliper Covers (http://www.ebay.ph/viItem?ItemId=4599526965)

I've seen some of those fake crossdrilled disc rotor covers! :D

Qube
01-17-2006, 08:16 PM
Very good points...

1. ...when one of them bends, it's good to know that you can call up tirerack and get another for $70, versus pitching the whole set.

2. In most cases replacing the stock basketweaves with cheap aftermarket wheels is a backward step in both strength and unsprung weight.

SRR2
01-17-2006, 10:11 PM
You're not kidding about China. If you read the copy of the ad carefully, they make a big deal about 'production equipment from Germany and USA' or words to that effect. Obviously they're weasel-wording around saying that the WHEELS are made in Germany or US, and trying to get suckers ... er... customers to think they're not from China. Jeez, just think about plating. Here, plating is a big deal and expensive because of OSHA and EPA regulations. In China... HA! WHAT regulations?? We don't need no steeenking environmental protection! So what if we poison a few workers now and then? There are plenty more where they came from, right?

Besides, bright chrome is completely out of place on a BMW.

pundit
01-17-2006, 10:49 PM
You're not kidding about China. If you read the copy of the ad carefully, they make a big deal about 'production equipment from Germany and USA' or words to that effect. Obviously they're weasel-wording around saying that the WHEELS are made in Germany or US, and trying to get suckers ... er... customers to think they're not from China. Jeez, just think about plating. Here, plating is a big deal and expensive because of OSHA and EPA regulations. In China... HA! WHAT regulations?? We don't need no steeenking environmental protection! So what if we poison a few workers now and then? There are plenty more where they came from, right?

Besides, bright chrome is completely out of place on a BMW.
Most non OEM rims come from Asia. Yes and the labors cheap, the workers have few if any rights and yes they have a poor enviromental record. And the reason is we in the Western world all demand cheaper goods, and expect cheaper goods. So, to an extent, we are all partly responsible. Although if we all agreed to pay more for Asian goods on the basis they look after the workers better and clean up their environmental record, would they? I somehow doubt it. Though industrial pollution is becoming so terrible in China that they really have to seriously tackle it as the effects are already becoming catastrophic in some areas.

realness
01-18-2006, 10:55 AM
I appreciate all of your opinions.

Incantation
01-18-2006, 11:54 AM
"supply your own adhesive" .. i wonder how you could even stick them to the stock units.. mine would never come clean enough for an adhesive to be effective

brodee
01-18-2006, 12:15 PM
ocwheelwurx.com (http://www.ocwheelwurx.com/) sells the Moven version of that replica wheel and he runs them on his own car.

I keep hearing all this about how aftermarket rims will bend and they are made cheap. Funny thing is the only wheel I've ever bent was a factory 16" BMW wheel on my 325ic. Out of 2 sets of 18's and 1 set of 17's I haven't bent a replica rim yet. By the time I do I'll be ready for a new set of wheels anyway :D

I wish I could afford some forged wheels, or a nice set of BBS, but I'd rather spend the money on my 2-year-old son and put replicas on the cars.