PDA

View Full Version : New Plugs - Oil

uberhahn
01-17-2006, 11:29 AM
Changed plugs in my '94 M60 powered 530i.

130K miles so far on original? Bosch +2. Found a bit of oil on the freeze plugs between some of the cylinders.

Found oil on the threads of the two plugs closest to the firewall.

No smoke, some oil usage between changes, but not horribly noticable. I think any primary loss may be due to small seepage from the oil-pan gasket.

Given the mileage, any concerns with slightly oily plugs?

uberhahn

632 Regal
01-17-2006, 12:08 PM
thats your valve covers leaking, I have the same deal. if those plugs were original they would be horribly worn out. Change the gaskets or the oil may short the coilpacks and become very expensive.

Evan
08-31-2006, 11:41 AM
I found oil on the threads of my spark plugs... is oil seeping up through the rings into the cylinder?

632 Regal
08-31-2006, 11:45 AM
valve cover gasket dripping into the plug wells
I found oil on the threads of my spark plugs... is oil seeping up through the rings into the cylinder?

bbig119
08-31-2006, 11:54 AM
I had the same problem. New gaskets did the trick, but getting the covers off and on was a bitch. I left the fuel rail alone, so it took some careful twisting and turning to get the covers around especially the AC lines on the passenger side, but neither side was much fun. Other than that, easy job.

Evan
08-31-2006, 03:51 PM
You're both right.. my valve cover gaskets need to be replaced so I just ordered them.

I also just dropped my oil pan and there were no surprises.

INstead of putting my car back together I keep taking it apart... and what's up with the yttrium Bosch spark plugs I bought... are they the right stuff?