PDA

View Full Version : Oil not getting to the head cams lifters etc.

rob101
01-17-2006, 04:11 AM
hello,

As i have mentioned previously i have had a clicking problem, definitely happens just after a rev the car a bit and on hot afternoons, so i guess its probably the oil pump gasket or whatever that gasket was that caused the oil to foam. Question is would it be possible to reduce the foaming by switching to a synthetic, atm my car is running on a castrol multigrade (GTX 3 i think), would it be worth my while to try synthetic 15W-50 or similar grade (keep in mind its hot up here)?

duckloads
01-17-2006, 09:24 AM
Have you checked to make sure the banjo bolts that hold the oil rail on top of the lifters are tight? Adjust your valves and check the banjo bolts.

Bill R.
01-17-2006, 09:25 AM
either. The only solution to prevent long term damage to the motor is to fix the problem.

hello,

As i have mentioned previously i have had a clicking problem, definitely happens just after a rev the car a bit and on hot afternoons, so i guess its probably the oil pump gasket or whatever that gasket was that caused the oil to foam. Question is would it be possible to reduce the foaming by switching to a synthetic, atm my car is running on a castrol multigrade (GTX 3 i think), would it be worth my while to try synthetic 15W-50 or similar grade (keep in mind its hot up here)?

NovceGuru
01-17-2006, 10:36 AM
I have a nice clicking noise also, mainly after it first starts up after sitting for at least 8 hours (less in colder weather) On cold cold cold mornings when its 10 degrees F I get the clicking for a minute or to, but no noise when revving.
I assume these are my rocker arms? When I replaced the cam chain I also replaced every gear/sprocket/idler I could just to be safe although, it was probably unnecessary. Its a project I could undertake this winter if I can determine what the source of the noise is. Then I can bust out the old Peugeot for a while :p

632 Regal
01-17-2006, 12:59 PM
might be the oil canister check valve, theres a write up on brunos site.
I have a nice clicking noise also, mainly after it first starts up after sitting for at least 8 hours (less in colder weather) On cold cold cold mornings when its 10 degrees F I get the clicking for a minute or to, but no noise when revving.
I assume these are my rocker arms? When I replaced the cam chain I also replaced every gear/sprocket/idler I could just to be safe although, it was probably unnecessary. Its a project I could undertake this winter if I can determine what the source of the noise is. Then I can bust out the old Peugeot for a while :p

Jay 535i
01-17-2006, 02:13 PM

That's normal, but what Rob describes is not.

Kalevera
01-17-2006, 03:39 PM
That's hydraulic lifter or vanos unit noise. The M50 is DOHC, so it doesn't have rockers. The lifters and or oil pump will wear over time, which means the lifters don't pressure up as quickly on cold starts, especially with environmentally colder oil.

best, whit

rob101
01-17-2006, 04:17 PM
mine is a non-vanos, yeah i can't say that it seems to happen at a certain time, its just f*****d. may also get valvetrain rattle at rpm over 3000 in fact i am sure thats what the unusual noise is. so I figure i have a c**tish oil pressure problem, will have to get a gauge me thinks. and just recently my exhaust f*****d up, POS e34 m50 , i am starting to hate this car.

RobPatt
01-17-2006, 09:45 PM
.......POS e34 m50 , i am starting to hate this car......

Well at least she looks good, is a 5 speed and has nice wheels....all that's gotta count for something.... :D

Kalevera
01-18-2006, 12:29 AM
Rob, I didn't mean for that response to be directed at your query, rather towards the post made by "NovceGuru".

I don't know how many miles are on your car, but it's 13 years old. Any 13 year old car is going to have some issues to address, and, dare I say, they're quite limited problems when compared to most of the junk on the roads these days. For example, the exhaust. Unlike on my toyota (going back a few years here), if you replace the system with the new OEM parts, it'll last another 13 years. Aforementioned toyota received a factory new catback system with a lifetime warranty from the dealer sometime around '95, then consistently went in for replacement every few years until it threw a rod in June 2001.

I was quite pissed off when Fritz left me stranded on the highway last year, especially after having spent 5 gees in parts and untold hours of my time on the car. But I reconciled.

best, whit

pong
01-18-2006, 02:50 AM
same problem here... the rattling sound when the engine starts to heat up... actually.. it depends on its mood... sometimes its there... sometimes not!
hehehe

rob101
01-18-2006, 05:03 AM
we all reconcile with our cars........ once we fixed them lol yeah i know its 13 years old etc. i have one that is 23 years old also and in some respects it is a little better, at least the cooling system doesn't have to be bled everytime i top it up.

anyhow i will check the oil pressure, change to synthetic and then check the lifters, now that i have a copy of bentley I am not so afraid of a bit of DIY, i was working off haynes (every bmw before 1991) manual which tells you about as much about the 5er's (e28 and e34) as my mum could tell me.

Bill R.
01-18-2006, 08:54 AM
you're describing the same problem that Dick Schnieders had with his
m50 and numerous others. This is what it turned out to be on Dick's car, it gets worse when its warmer and you drive at higher speeds for long periods
Synthetic will aerate just as badly as conventional oil. The solution is to pull the pan and replace this gasket.. if it was mine i'd replace the pump at the same time. Note this only applies to m50's rattling after the engine gets warmed up , not the ones that rattle on cold startuphttp://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/Dickslifterrattle2.jpg

we all reconcile with our cars........ once we fixed them lol yeah i know its 13 years old etc. i have one that is 23 years old also and in some respects it is a little better, at least the cooling system doesn't have to be bled everytime i top it up.

anyhow i will check the oil pressure, change to synthetic and then check the lifters, now that i have a copy of bentley I am not so afraid of a bit of DIY, i was working off haynes (every bmw before 1991) manual which tells you about as much about the 5er's (e28 and e34) as my mum could tell me.

genphreak
01-18-2006, 09:20 AM
you're describing the same problem that Dick Schnieders had with his m50 and numerous others. This is what it turned out to be on Dick's car, it gets worse when its warmer and you drive at higher speeds for long periods
Synthetic will aerate just as badly as conventional oil. The solution is to pull the pan and replace this gasket.. You'd never see Toyota work that kind of problem out, (let alone distribute a clear analysis with the fix) especially after a more than 4 years after the last production run. They'd be less likely to have the problem in the first place, (innovate little, copy lots and change as little as you have to to sell the product) but most of their cars are already gone at this age so it becomes irrelevent anyway (just the way they like it). I wonder how long it will be before we get disposable cars- ones that cannot have the engine oil changed and do a maximum of 40,000km and 2 years on the road. A lot of cars are already lucky to go this far... :) Nick

pong
01-18-2006, 09:43 AM
mine is an m20... does it also work that way?

Bill R.
01-18-2006, 09:44 AM
the m50

mine is an m20... does it also work that way?

NovceGuru
01-18-2006, 04:03 PM
Well might be the vanos, although I did a non professional evaluation of it when I did my cam chain, there didn't seem to be any play anywhere. I tested my oil pressure before I did the cam chain and it was right up around 65lbs at 3000rpm...IIRC, its wrote down somewhere if that doesn't sound good, it was up to spec with the Bentley. My oil pressure light goes out pretty much right away when my car starts also. I'm not to worried about it, I shouldn't be, right?

rob101
01-18-2006, 04:44 PM
does anyone know what a high rpm rattle might be from, It doesn't sound like severe pinging and it happens above 3.5k i think, its kind of high pitched metallic sound, i have a rattly exhaust but the noise would seem to be coming from the engine. its loud enough that you can hear it with the windows up and almost drowns the exhaust note out. it is worrying me alot. but the engine has been doing it since i bought the car. It could be pinging but my car does ping a little at lower rpm but it doesn't sound quite like this noise and it doesn't seem to be dependant on load
what are the possibilities?

PS I do not have vanos.

pong
01-18-2006, 08:12 PM
if u hear an m20 rattling like that... same symptoms, what could be d cause?