PDA

View Full Version : Front Suspension Advice

av8r
01-16-2006, 04:07 PM
Well its time to redo the front end. I would like to lower the car an inch and still maintain a fairly soft ride. I would like some advice on what combination i should look at.
Thanks in advance.
Chris
95 530i, 1975 Cessna 172M
140,000 miles. But the engine was replaced at 80,000 by BMW.

Jay 535i
01-16-2006, 04:13 PM
I'm REALLY happy with my Sachs kit. Teriffic handling (the improvement over stock is incredible) and still a comfy ride. The lowered ride height is nice, too.

Probably best to do all four corners at once.

Sounds like a nice plane, BTW. Come on up and take my car for a spin if you like! :)

dacoyote
01-16-2006, 04:14 PM
http://www.bmw4life.com/shocksSpringsGuide.htm

dacoyote
01-16-2006, 04:14 PM
I'm REALLY happy with my Sachs kit. Teriffic handling (the improvement over stock is incredible) and still a comfy ride. The lowered ride height is nice, too.

Probably best to do all four corners at once.

Sounds like a nice plane, BTW. Come on up and take my car for a spin if you like! :)

Darn... almost got first post...

632 Regal
01-16-2006, 04:17 PM
dont forget that you have a V8 and the front is a little heavier than the 6s so it will sit lower than any advertised listing. The Bav autos are sick low on our cars, I have the eibachs (maybe H&Rs) are doable but a bit low. I like the looks but if your roads are really shitty they may be too low.

Read up on this if you decide to use the Bilstein sports...

http://www.bimmer.info/~regal632/Bumpstops.htm

Jay 535i
01-16-2006, 04:20 PM
dont forget that you have a V8 and the front is a little heavier than the 6s so it will sit lower than any advertised listing.

Are you certain that's right?

I know the V8-engined cars weigh more, but I thought that was down to the drivetrain -- not the engine itself. And so the extra weight isn't all on the front wheels.

I thought that a BMW aluminum V8 weighed about the same as the iron-block M30.

I could be wrong, of course.

632 Regal
01-16-2006, 04:30 PM
http://www.bimmer.info/~regal632/Side.jpg

Bruno
01-16-2006, 04:46 PM
Are you certain that's right?

I know the V8-engined cars weigh more, but I thought that was down to the drivetrain -- not the engine itself. And so the extra weight isn't all on the front wheels.

I thought that a BMW aluminum V8 weighed about the same as the iron-block M30.

I could be wrong, of course.

I heard about the lowering being different on the V8, I even have a disclaimer on my website: "It seems that on the 540i, it created a drop of 2" front and 1.25" rear..."

632 Regal
01-16-2006, 04:52 PM
yep, I'd say about 2 inches or a little more.
I heard about the lowering being different on the V8, I even have a disclaimer on my website: "It seems that on the 540i, it created a drop of 2" front and 1.25" rear..."

Kalevera
01-16-2006, 06:35 PM
Jaybaby, absolutely. It has to do more with weight distribution. Drive E34 versions of the 535/5 and 540/6 and you'll feel the difference in handling: the V8 has more forward weight. Additionally, the tranny is bulkier and heavier. More weight up front = different handling. I'm not going to judge it to be better or worse, but it's a reason why I decided a V12 doesn't work in an E34, and that adds something like 15kg to the weight.

best, whit

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
01-16-2006, 06:52 PM
I'd use Koni Sport (yellow) for the dampers whatever spring you choose. They have more compression damping than the Bilsteins and the re-bound is adjustable.

I promised a photo of the M5 bump stops. Other models are 3.5" long vs 2.9" for these. You'll get a bit more suspension travel before bottoming with these. BMA sells them for $40 each - part number 31332226606.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/interalian/DSC00344.jpg

Tiger
01-16-2006, 07:23 PM
You must understand that they make only one set of springs for all BMW E34's... just look at the catalog and all of them will say one spring... maybe they have a kit for the wagon... which has different rear end spring.

If it were me, M-Tech springs are the only one to go.

Martin in Bellevue
01-16-2006, 07:47 PM
http://www.bimmer.info/~regal632/Side.jpg
Are those Eibach sportline springs? They look lower than the Eibach ProKit springs.
I just replaced those BavAuto springs with Eibach ProKit springs. The prokit springs are a little higher & ride much better. This is with Bilstein sports, IE fixed front camber plates, Rd anti-sway bars.
Those BavAuto springs are shorter than the Eibach ProKit springs, with about 4 more coils per spring.

632 Regal
01-16-2006, 09:06 PM
im not sure, their the only things that were available at the time, I didnt know that there were options or I would hav obviously gone with the taller or stiffer ones.
Are those Eibach sportline springs? They look lower than the Eibach ProKit springs.
I just replaced those craptacular BavAuto springs with Eibach ProKit springs. The prokit springs are a little higher & ride [B]much[B] better. This is with Bilstein sports, IE fixed front camber plates, Rd anti-sway bars.
Those BavAuto springs are shorter than the Eibach ProKit springs, with about 4 more coils per spring. Ugh, they were terrible.

av8r
01-17-2006, 08:38 AM
thanks to all. I will be making my decision in the next few days and will probably take before and after pics.

Jay 535i
01-17-2006, 02:16 PM
Jaybaby, absolutely. It has to do more with weight distribution. Drive E34 versions of the 535/5 and 540/6 and you'll feel the difference in handling: the V8 has more forward weight. Additionally, the tranny is bulkier and heavier. More weight up front = different handling. I'm not going to judge it to be better or worse, but it's a reason why I decided a V12 doesn't work in an E34, and that adds something like 15kg to the weight.

best, whit

Thanks for setting me straight, Whit ....... again. :)