PDA

View Full Version : OT: Bill R. Any tips for doing Toyota V8 starter contacts?

gale
01-16-2006, 01:08 PM
2000 Landcruiser, 12/99 build date if it matters.

I've finally braved up the umption to do the job, just need to yank off the intake manifold & "git er done"

Thanks!

gale
01-16-2006, 04:49 PM
1/2 way there. Got the starter out and I'm in the middle of replacing the contacts & plunger/contact ring. The old ones were worn to the bone -- it's a wonder it would even catch at all. What a pain in the a$$. They tuck the starter under the back of the intake manifold so have to strip off 1/2 the topend of the motor just to get to it. Turns out the job is pretty well documented on numerous 4x4 forums and seems to be a systemic problem with nearly all Toyota/Nissan gear reduction starter solenoids. So far I'm into the job for $46, coulda cut that in 1/2 ordering parts on-line instead of the dealer, but the local boys have families to feed too.

On the upside, it will go alot faster next time if we keep it long enough, just turned 100k & haven't had to do but routine oil & filter changes -- knock on wood!!!

632 Regal
01-16-2006, 04:51 PM
its amazing how they design some of these combinations, my moms gar needed the intake removed to get to the rear 3 plugs, and then you had to do a bleed like on an M-20...fun stuff too.

gale
01-16-2006, 07:41 PM
its amazing how they design some of these combinations, my moms gar needed the intake removed to get to the rear 3 plugs, and then you had to do a bleed like on an M-20...fun stuff too.

Well, I'm 3/4 done. Time for a supper break. Got the starter on & manifold back on & torqued. Just have to finish up a bunch of hoses & wire connections. Hope this 50-something pee-brain can remember how it all goes back together. Anymore I automatically start all but the most simple job with lots of digital pic's so I can sort things out.

The upside is Toyota doesn't route the coolant thru the upper plenum so the only fluids I had to deal with was a few dribbles of gas. Left the fuel rails & injectors on the manifold so it was an easy pull.

I know what you mean about removing stuff to get to the back 3. That's why we bought my wife this tank. She had a Nissan (gulp-choke-ugh) mini-van before that, with the V6 and it was a royal pain to do even the most trivial maintenance. I finally reach a point where I gave her the checkbook & told her to go bring home something that would tow a boat and was reliable enough I wouldn't have to work on it every weekend -- so she surprises me with a Landcruiser of all things, maybe I'll pay it off some day before I'm pushing up daisies :p

gale
01-16-2006, 09:00 PM
Success!!! :D She's back together & running, starts 1st click every time. No left over parts, no leaks, no CEL. Nothing like the satisfaction of a job done well!

Cheers