PDA

View Full Version : Ahhhh geeze.....what now!??

Brian C.
03-12-2004, 01:13 PM
On the way to work this morning I stopped off at the neighborhood coffee shop(rhymes with Car-bucks)to pow-wow with some co-workers. As I was leaving, I started the car and after 5-10 seconds it stalled. It NEVER stalls. I go to start it again and it starts, but shudders a bit as I press on the accelerator. I let it go to idle and it seems OK. I put it in reverse and it stalls again. ($$$$$ are now flashing before my eyes!) I start it a third time and it starts up and I drive to work with that wonderful knotted feeling in my stomach that we all know and love. I park and come to the office, since I have a very busy day planned. I won't get back to the car until around 7pm tonight. Friday night at that.

So. What do ya'll think? Is my fuel pump in the throws of it's death gurgle? I don't think that's ever been repalced on the car....yet. I filled up yesterday, but have driven 100+ miles since. Weather is beautiful, not an issue. What's the good news?

Brian C.
'95 525ia
110k miles

632 Regal
03-12-2004, 01:27 PM
hopefully it's something real easy!!

Brian C.
03-12-2004, 01:51 PM
....run out in an hour or two and give it a few stomps. Good idea Jeff. Too much ca-ca to think about today to have to worry about the car. Isn't it always that way!

Brian C.
;)

ryan roopnarine
03-12-2004, 01:54 PM
i started to develop an intermittent shaky idle when it got down to 38 here.

Brian C.
03-12-2004, 04:31 PM
....short-long-short-long-short-long.....

Which as I recall is a "no problem" code. Right?? The stomp code link I have here at the office is not working. I went to crank it and it had to turn over a half-dozen times before it caught. And then what might have been a backfire or some kind of a noise. Errrrrrrrrr.....it never did that before. I hope I get home. And yeah, it did cool down to around 71 this morning. ;) Maybe that frigid air has made it sluggish!

What signs would indicate a bad fuel pump? Seems like what I've experienced, huh?

Brian C.

632 Regal
03-12-2004, 05:23 PM
could be fuel pump, filter, a miriod of electronics, crank sensor, coils, plugs, afm the dme or a mouse in your intake, maybe even 2 mice.

:D

Brian C.
03-12-2004, 05:42 PM
.....but I think that's something else alltogether! :p

Yeah, I know......I guess I'll just have to wait for the next symptom to happen. I just hope it's not 10pm, 20 miles from home. Thanks anyway guys.

Brian c.

Don McAdams
03-12-2004, 07:17 PM

I can scan it for you Brian. Only problem is I'm in the middle of moving (boxes everywhere, a weekend from hell (yes) & I close on the house Monday AM!)- Did I mention I cannot stand moving! :(

What is your work schedule like? Weekends, nights, etc?

Let me know if I can help you!

E30M3TheRealM3@aol.com

Take Care!
http://members.aol.com/e30m3therealm3/m5t.jpg

Brian C.
03-12-2004, 07:52 PM
I just drove it home and once it got started it seemed rather normal. No strange sounds, no jerky acceleration, good pick-up as a matter of fact(nice cool, dry air, huh!)....the only thing that's out of the ordinary is that today is the first day since I've owned the car that it cranks 4,5,6 times before it kicks in. Hhmmm, maybe a clogged fuel filter?

I dunno....I'll see how it treats me over the weekend. If I make it through Monday-Tuesday, maybe I'll cruise up some night next week and we can hook 'er up. I'll even bring the limes too! :p Where you moving too? You were in Lighthouse Point or thereabouts, weren't you? I hate moving too. The last time I did it was due to an unexpected re-modeling job, courtesy of a gentleman named Andrew.(08/24/92)

Anyway, thanks for the offer, and I'll keep you informed.

Brian C.

Don McAdams
03-12-2004, 09:51 PM
That sucks. Bad bad hurricane. Bad reason to have to "relocate".

We are building a house outside of Vero Beach (they just started building it & it wont be finished for another 6-8 months). We are staying at my brothers house in Tamarac till our house is built. Then it's time to move everything out of storage & to the new house! Yea! Another move!! :D :(

The Snap-On scanner is a small computer that is about half the size of a laptop. I'd be able to come & visit you this weekend w/ it, but because of the "moving thing" I'm kinda isolated to errr.... boxes & lifting stuff!! :( Is it time for another Corona break? LOL.

Let me know how it goes & if needed we can work something out to scan it-

Take Care-

winfred
03-12-2004, 11:05 PM
andrew was fun for us in loserana, it wasn't quiet as nasty after it snacked on florida, i remember going about 50 mph on a bike down wind as the eyewall was returning, the house is due for another roof, bring em on.
i have a mt2400 snap on vantage and access to a mt2500 scanner, if you're up for a drive i could look at it:D

Brian C.
03-12-2004, 11:14 PM
....Don and I may have the Coronas uncorked and the limes all cut by next week sometime, YOU should be able to make HERE in time for a little St. Patty's Day libations! :p Hey....limes are green , right???

Brian C.

winfred
03-12-2004, 11:44 PM
grandparents are in from va this week, and two people from work allready are skipping work tomorow so i not being the partying type am working tomorow but am doing as little as possible and bringing my granddad with me

Don McAdams
03-12-2004, 11:47 PM
andrew was fun for us in loserana, it wasn't quiet as nasty after it snacked on florida, i remember going about 50 mph on a bike down wind as the eyewall was returning, the house is due for another roof, bring em on.
i have a mt2400 snap on vantage and access to a mt2500 scanner, if you're up for a drive i could look at it:D

That's what I bought about a year ago the MT2500, bought it off eBay cheap. Got a deal on the BMW Primary cartrige from my snap-on tool guy ($299)- list is $499. That thing is awesome. I can scan pretty much scan anything ('88-'03's) even the E46 M3's w/ it. Well worth the $$. Resets airbag lights, scans fault codes for engine, trans, ABS :p

Last week I picked up the new "EuroCheck" scanner from Snap-On. It is also an airbag reset tool, this one diagnoses HVAC problems w/ E39's + also resets the digital oil service inspection, etc... Also does Naughty Audi's, VW's, Volvo's, SAAB Stories........

Every Friday we BBQ @ the shop right before the Snap-On guy arrives- naturally, he makes out w/ a free lunch :D Gotta fill his belly so we can beat him up on his prices :p He's having a good month w/ our shop, 2 diagnostic scanners, a Miller welder, 2 SATA spray guns..... !!! Bling Bling$!!

winfred
03-13-2004, 12:08 AM
i love my 2400, lab scope, graphing multi meter, huge database and a few other things, the ase master tech i work with has a 2500 and he couldn't stand not having a 2400 after seeing what it can do, i got mine used from snap on for $900. my guy tried to get me on a euro check last week, i couldn't see paying $500 for something i don't need, i have a ast airbag/oil/inspection light tool, i can do bag stuff with the 2500, strangly enough the ast will reset some bag codes that the 2500 won't, and the ast when "new airbag style" is selected will reset the new brake pad sensor warning on the newer bimmers like a e39/38 (when sensor is replaced the warning doesn't go away for a while, not good giving a car back with a warning message after charging for repare)

Brian C.
03-13-2004, 12:19 AM
...important stuff, like FISHING EQUIPMENT! You can use it, have fun with it, drink pretty much all you want with it and never have it blow up on you if you were a bit TOO drunk! Just don't let the boat sink. (Yep, it happened to me but that's a story for another day!) ;)

Take care guys....it's beddie-by for me!

Brian C.

winfred
03-13-2004, 12:24 AM
i spend mine on guns and car ****, i need to take some pics of my nitro rc cars, i have a 1/10 scale that goes 65+ mph and a 1/8 that does 75, haven't finished with that one

Don McAdams
03-13-2004, 12:26 AM
i love my 2400, lab scope, graphing multi meter, huge database and a few other things, the ase master tech i work with has a 2500 and he couldn't stand not having a 2400 after seeing what it can do, i got mine used from snap on for $900. my guy tried to get me on a euro check last week, i couldn't see paying $500 for something i don't need, i have a ast airbag/oil/inspection light tool, i can do bag stuff with the 2500, strangly enough the ast will reset some bag codes that the 2500 won't, and the ast when "new airbag style" is selected will reset the new brake pad sensor warning on the newer bimmers like a e39/38 (when sensor is replaced the warning doesn't go away for a while, not good giving a car back with a warning message after charging for repare)

I agree the EuroCheck does do a lot of the MT2500 capabilites, but I like some of the other features it has. One being that I can reset & check airbag codes like Mercedes, Audi & VW(I do not have the MT2500 cartridges for these). We were spending $65 a pop to have our bag lights reset by an Indy that would come to the shop & do it. The eurocheck scanner will pay for itself in a couple uses... Plus I like to screw around & learn new stuff w/ them. The MT2500 is awesome because of the fault codes for the engine.... Your 2400 is sweet..... :)

Today we picked up an OTC scanner off the $Snap-On$ truck (airbag & ABS) for all domestic & asian. Some OBD I & all OBD II till '02. List was $1349, we got it for $450 because it was a demo- comes w/ full warranty, updates are $249 or so.... 4 different cartridges. I think the OTC is similar to the AST you guys have? It's a hella nice scanner, easy to use, etc..... Like I said, we were spending $65 a pop!! No more "Sublet" :p

winfred
03-13-2004, 12:28 AM
they have mercedes cartrages on the bay all of the time

jpkasper
03-13-2004, 08:31 AM
Sounds exactly like the symptoms I just experienced with my car. In the end, the fuel pump just quit, but was intermittent for some time. I started with the inexpensive stuff...fuel filters and fuel pump relay. Finally shorted across the relay contacts and found that the filter was not running at all. Fuel pump is an easy (but expensive...$300) replacement.

Paul
'94 530ia (alusil)

wool
03-13-2004, 01:23 PM
@ things come to mind. A failing crank sensor will make the car run the way you described. When it goes, it will shut down the entire ignition system.
The fuel pump will go quikly. Pull a spark plug if they are wet with gas, then the crank sensor is probaly kaput, if they are dry and you are getting a spark, then its a fuel delivery problem such as a pump or a relay.

On the way to work this morning I stopped off at the neighborhood coffee shop(rhymes with Car-bucks)to pow-wow with some co-workers. As I was leaving, I started the car and after 5-10 seconds it stalled. It NEVER stalls. I go to start it again and it starts, but shudders a bit as I press on the accelerator. I let it go to idle and it seems OK. I put it in reverse and it stalls again. ($$$$$ are now flashing before my eyes!) I start it a third time and it starts up and I drive to work with that wonderful knotted feeling in my stomach that we all know and love. I park and come to the office, since I have a very busy day planned. I won't get back to the car until around 7pm tonight. Friday night at that.

So. What do ya'll think? Is my fuel pump in the throws of it's death gurgle? I don't think that's ever been repalced on the car....yet. I filled up yesterday, but have driven 100+ miles since. Weather is beautiful, not an issue. What's the good news?

Brian C.
'95 525ia
110k miles

Tiger
03-13-2004, 03:55 PM
It is kinda rare to see a diagnostic scanner that does BMW ... what model of Snap On scanner do you have? What accessories needed to make it work?