PDA

View Full Version : New Brakes...

liquidtiger720
01-15-2006, 10:14 PM
Yes, I know there are a million threads out there as to what brake pads are good and yada yada yada...but I want to hear updated versions.

So if everybody could give me a nice review of thier current rotor/pad setup.

I may or may not replace the rotors...they all have a big lip on them, but the rotors were put on at the same time as these pads, which seems...short. haha.

Alexlind123
01-15-2006, 11:01 PM
I would be interested to know what sort of pad setup people have as well. My rotors are new and very smooth to the touch, but i have a feeling that my pads need replacing. At least one pad is cracked and the brakes shudder under hard braking, especially when hot.

Karl
01-15-2006, 11:09 PM
Check back past posts on the subject--there's almost as many opinions on brakes as tires or syntheric oil. ;-)
Based on past posts, I got Raybestos pads from Pep Boys (really). They make very little dust, held up well for a weekend drivers school, and are really cheap.

Now about your rotors--check the thickness with a micrometer against the spec. The book should give you a minimum thickness. The replacement criterion is whether you still have enough iron left in the rotor, not whether you can feel a lip on them. Some pads really wear out rotors quickly.

Beez540
01-15-2006, 11:46 PM
I'll chime in because I would've appreciated it when I posted... but alas, I got nuthin' either.

Why can't people just accept that searching exhaustively is too scattered, often too dated, and I'm just too damn lazy to do it sometimes.

Soooooo....

I just put ATE power discs and some Akebono Ceramic pads on the front. A couple thosand miles in and so far they're quiet, less dust, and stop better.

Good luck.

BigKriss
01-15-2006, 11:54 PM
What are you complaing about? This website is easy to navigate and collect information. There is a section for brakes, wheels and tires.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16

I'll chime in because I would've appreciated it when I posted... but alas, I got nuthin' either.

Why can't people just accept that searching exhaustively is too scattered, often too dated, and I'm just too damn lazy to do it sometimes.

Beez540
01-16-2006, 12:05 AM
What are you complaing about? This website is easy to navigate and collect information. There is a section for brakes, wheels and tires.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16

See "too dated" and "I'm too lazy".
;)

Also, lots and lots and lots and lots of those threads are not very concise... often because posts like these two always come up and multiply like rabbits.

MBXB
01-16-2006, 12:07 AM
OEM Balo's from BMA and Raybestos QS Ceramic
Very little dust, quiet, great stopping

BigKriss
01-16-2006, 12:11 AM
I note your concerns mate, I'm not trying to have a go at you. Maybe some member(s) should do a writeup on all brakes upgrades and maintance for the e34, make it a sticky and be done with it. It would save a lot of repeated answers.

See "too dated" and "I'm too lazy".
;)

Also, lots and lots and lots and lots of those threads are not very concise... often because posts like these two always come up and multiply like rabbits.

Anton CH.
01-16-2006, 12:54 AM
Josh I got some brand new rear brake pads left (NIB)...could sell them to you at a discount if you want. Have no use for them after my 850i upgrade.

EDIT: I used to have ATE w/ PBR, would definetly recomend this combo for life/brake dust. When I had this combo on the front, the rear would dust more than the rear-the rear was stock.

liquidtiger720
01-16-2006, 02:12 AM
Josh I got some brand new rear brake pads left (NIB)...could sell them to you at a discount if you want. Have no use for them after my 850i upgrade.

EDIT: I used to have ATE w/ PBR, would definetly recomend this combo for life/brake dust. When I had this combo on the front, the rear would dust more than the rear-the rear was stock.

What kind of pads?

BTW; the 850i's fit with the 15's? or did you ahve 16's on the car?

How much were the 850's? I'm contemplating upgrading.

angrypancake
01-16-2006, 02:50 AM
I believe you need at least 16's if not 17's for the 850i brakes, it's on Bruno's website. I called those bavarian recycler bastards and they wanted something exorbinate for 850 calipers, 476 + shipping PER CALIPER. Then I went to the autozone 2 minutes from the house and they are ordering up a set for 122.50 each, with pads!

Anton CH.
01-16-2006, 02:59 AM
What kind of pads?

BTW; the 850i's fit with the 15's? or did you ahve 16's on the car?

How much were the 850's? I'm contemplating upgrading.

PBR deluxes.

Yup 16's, they barely fit. But they look awesome as theres no gap now. I just bolted on some 18's today and the brakes look nice. The 850s were, welll, lets just say a lil' expensive....well worth the upgrade though. 476USD per caliper sounds way overpriced, you could find them cheaper. Good luck finding them at autozone thouhg. I went around the whole bay area and couldn't find one in stock. I found one set from junk yard, he had two last time I checked, he still may have an extra set. A new brake cylinder upgrade is advised but not required if you do the 4 piston conversion.

Incantation
01-16-2006, 03:21 AM
Raybestos QS

if you have a lip on your rotors and don't want to have them machined be careful with whatever pads you choose.. for example i went from stock pads to raybestos and the raybestos were bigger so i had to machine the rotors otherwise the pad would have sat on a ridge.. hope that makes sense

Incantation
01-16-2006, 03:22 AM
and they are wicked pads.. i don't do any fast driving or hard breaking .. but i have hammered em a couple times to see how they feel.. and they're great

BigKriss
01-16-2006, 03:47 AM
Nat, are you serious us$122 for 850 calipers + pads? This doesn't sound right.

I believe you need at least 16's if not 17's for the 850i brakes, it's on Bruno's website. I called those bavarian recycler bastards and they wanted something exorbinate for 850 calipers, 476 + shipping PER CALIPER. Then I went to the autozone 2 minutes from the house and they are ordering up a set for 122.50 each, with pads!

liquidtiger720
01-16-2006, 12:20 PM
Does anybody know where I can order some of the Raybestos QS ceramics?

Jay 535i
01-16-2006, 01:01 PM
I use Balo rotors and Pagid pads.

They work great! I drive my car hard and they're always up for it. Mind, I don't drive my car SUPER hard, so I've never encountered fade. These aren't track brakes, but I find them great in daily use.

I've put 4k km on them and they still feel good as new.

MBXB
01-16-2006, 01:29 PM
Got mine from partsamerica.com for about $75 to my door.

Does anybody know where I can order some of the Raybestos QS ceramics?

Beez540
01-16-2006, 07:47 PM
I actually had trouble finding a deal on those where there were also rotors sold at a good value.

I eventually went with APW and had the powerdiscs and the Akebono ceramics (and a couple extra sensors) sent to my door for $225.

The dude that handled my order on the phone even knocked the price down on some stuff.