TWISM
01-15-2006, 09:18 AM
I've som questions about Cruise Control in a '92 E34 525iT with a M50B25

I'v the parts her with the numbers:

Cruise Control Computer 1: xx.xx.1.384.734
Cruise Control Computer 2: 65.75.1.388.907
Cruise Control motor: xx.xx.1.378.315

And offcourse the nessacery switches.

I also have the install manual, but when I look realoem.com for the parts, it shows 1 computer. The manual says 2 computers. The manual also talks about the connectors. I've got all connectors, BUT NOT the 1 in the electronic box on the righthand side.

Could anyone check if these numbers corrospond with the right computers?
Or tell me what parts they are?

TWISM
02-13-2006, 02:37 PM
Well...

Still no Cruise Control...:(

I've found the connector. It is placed behind the left front-speaker.
But my luck is now that the connector doesn't fit the computer...:(

It seems that there are 2 computers.
1 from before 1992 and 1 from after 1992.
I need the new type...

When will it be my luck??:(

DaCan23
02-13-2006, 02:44 PM
You are trying to add cruise control to your car? Does your car have traction control?

If this car never had cruise and doesnt have traction, I wouldnt think it is possible, as you might not have the 2nd throttle cable the system uses.

Sounds like a lot of work and $$, in 6 yrs I've used cruise maybe twice, but thats just me....

Well...

Still no Cruise Control...:(

I've found the connector. It is placed behind the left front-speaker.
But my luck is now that the connector doesn't fit the computer...:(

It seems that there are 2 computers.
1 from before 1992 and 1 from after 1992.
I need the new type...

When will it be my luck??:(

TWISM
02-13-2006, 03:06 PM
You are trying to add cruise control to your car? Does your car have traction control?

If this car never had cruise and doesnt have traction, I wouldnt think it is possible, as you might not have the 2nd throttle cable the system uses.

Sounds like a lot of work and $$, in 6 yrs I've used cruise maybe twice, but thats just me....

It is possible and it doesn't cost that much. second hand cruisecontrol system with all the nessacery pieces costs around the $200,= (150 euro)

I had cruise control on my diesels and I used it allways!

So, I just have to look for the right computer...
All the other parts are allready installed, including the 2nd throttle cable.

DaCan23
02-13-2006, 03:21 PM
You installed the 2nd throttle cable? How hard was it?, just curious if I had to ever replace one. Sounds like a DIY accomplishment, congrats.

It is possible and it doesn't cost that much. second hand cruisecontrol system with all the nessacery pieces costs around the $200,= (150 euro)

I had cruise control on my diesels and I used it allways!

So, I just have to look for the right computer...
All the other parts are allready installed, including the 2nd throttle cable.

TWISM
02-14-2006, 01:29 AM
You installed the 2nd throttle cable? How hard was it?, just curious if I had to ever replace one. Sounds like a DIY accomplishment, congrats.

It ain't that hard. When you got all the right parts and you have an installation guide, it's quit easy!

For replacing the cable, it's not hard at all.
That will be just som clicks and a few screws and you're done.

When you have to replace a cable, just ask and you will see from all the tips jou get, it is really easy...

Toeks
02-14-2006, 05:44 AM
I'm also trying to get cruise control into my 95 525. From what I've seen so far in my search there are indeed different brain units for pre and post '91 models. The bentley service manual also refers to 2 different units, the '91 "Behind RH front shock tower, in P93 E-box" and the '95 one "Below LH side of dash". (very dissapointingly my Bentley manual makes no other references to removing/installing the cruise control, is this so for all the Bentley manuals?). Where did you get your info and installation manual from? Is it a kit or did you get the parts second hand yourself?

Toeks
02-14-2006, 06:56 AM
These are the part numbers (and prices) I got today from our local BMW dealer.

Control computer - 65-71-1-387-625 : $805
Actuator(motor) - 65-71-1-378-315 : $600

(I get the feeling these prices are insane, how do they compare?)

Hope they help somewhat.

TWISM
02-14-2006, 08:39 AM
I'm also trying to get cruise control into my 95 525. From what I've seen so far in my search there are indeed different brain units for pre and post '91 models. The bentley service manual also refers to 2 different units, the '91 "Behind RH front shock tower, in P93 E-box" and the '95 one "Below LH side of dash". (very dissapointingly my Bentley manual makes no other references to removing/installing the cruise control, is this so for all the Bentley manuals?). Where did you get your info and installation manual from? Is it a kit or did you get the parts second hand yourself?

I got the set second hand myself.
Just look on E-bay or something like that.

The prices on the new cruisecontrol are insanly high.
If you search, you can find complete cruisecontrol sets (computer, motor, handle and clutch switch) around the $200 till $300 (€ 150 - €200)

I have EBA from BMW (these are installation guides on all options from BMW)
If you PM me e-mail, I will e-mail you the installation guide for cruise control.
It's around 3Mb.

Or you wait a while and I can show you pictures on how to install.
As soon as I get the right computer, I will make pictures on how to install.

skr
02-14-2006, 09:19 AM
hmm, this could be something nice to do after all. In my case it's probably easier because i only need the computer module. As my injection pump is electronic driven (no throttle cable, i got a pedal position sensor) and i allso have the clutch switch i think it whouldn't be to dificult to do. I hope i'll find a diesel with cruise control at the wreckers somewere.

TWISM
02-14-2006, 09:26 AM
hmm, this could be something nice to do after all. In my case it's probably easier because i only need the computer module. As my injection pump is electronic driven (no throttle cable, i got a pedal position sensor) and i allso have the clutch switch i think it whouldn't be to dificult to do. I hope i'll find a diesel with cruise control at the wreckers somewere.

You need only 1 thing and that is the handle on your steering colom!!
And, if you have manual, the clutch switch.

The handle costs new around €120 and the switch with vracket around €15 is a total of €135 (aprox. $200)

skr
02-14-2006, 12:10 PM
wow. that means something like 40 $ from the wrekers. cool. Do you by any chance have any info on the install procedure? I figure it ain't something difficult.

TWISM
02-14-2006, 12:22 PM
wow. that means something like 40 $ from the wrekers. cool. Do you by any chance have any info on the install procedure? I figure it ain't something difficult.

second hand it should not be over $50,=

I have to check, but I think I have an installation guide for the cruise control for diesel. My guess is that you have an airbag?

skr
02-15-2006, 04:19 AM
no, i don't have an airbag.

TWISM
02-15-2006, 05:58 AM
no, i don't have an airbag.

Then it's easy!

First, unmount your steering wheel.
Then unmount the part underneath your dashboard. (I mean the part where your pedals go thru)
Then unmount the underpart of your steeringkolom (the plastic part)
Place the handle under the handle for your wippers
Cut out the form out of the plastic part of your steering colom (it shows on the inside of it)
Place the wire by the other wires in the steering colom.
Under your dashboard you will see a few connectors. The connector from the handle will only fit 1 of them (it's a white one with only 2 pins allthough it could fit 8 pins)
Place back the plastic part of the steeringcolom.

Do you have a manual gearbox? Or automatic?

Cause when manual you need an extra switch at your clutch.

Then you need to place the bracket for the switch to the pedalbox and click the switch in it.
There will be an other white connector of 2 pins, wich will fit in that connector.
When all installed place back the under part of the dashboard.

When finished, take for a testdrive. It should function at 50km/h, that's about 31m/h.

Oow... And don't forget to place back your steeringwheel... :D

Toeks
02-21-2006, 01:15 PM
So Twism, have you installed your cruise control kit yet in full? Want to see those pics man.

I've so far ordered the ecu off ebay, and got the lever switch from a secondhand 7 series (should work no prob, right?). It seems my 525 has some of the wiring, but not all. Switch connection is there, actuator connector is there, but not the blue one that goes to the ecu, so need to get that.

TWISM
02-22-2006, 08:15 AM
So Twism, have you installed your cruise control kit yet in full? Want to see those pics man.

I've so far ordered the ecu off ebay, and got the lever switch from a secondhand 7 series (should work no prob, right?). It seems my 525 has some of the wiring, but not all. Switch connection is there, actuator connector is there, but not the blue one that goes to the ecu, so need to get that.

I don't have the right computer yet. :(

The connector you need is behind your left footwell, behind the speaker.

Toeks
02-26-2006, 06:23 AM
and got this. At first I became happy, thinking its the cruise control ecu. took it out and checked the number. The black box with blue connector is apparently the ACU, has to do with the A/C if I'm not mistaken. Now there are a few things I would like to know. a) the blue connector for the ACU looks like the one for the CC ECU. So where is the connector for the CC ECU? And what is that other blue and white connector? Is the little white connector at the top left (with 2 wires) the clutch switch connector? If so, why the heck is it in the left footwell! (We have right hand drive cars.)

Do you have the ECU yet?

TWISM
02-27-2006, 05:37 PM
and got this. At first I became happy, thinking its the cruise control ecu. took it out and checked the number. The black box with blue connector is apparently the ACU, has to do with the A/C if I'm not mistaken. Now there are a few things I would like to know. a) the blue connector for the ACU looks like the one for the CC ECU. So where is the connector for the CC ECU? And what is that other blue and white connector? Is the little white connector at the top left (with 2 wires) the clutch switch connector? If so, why the heck is it in the left footwell! (We have right hand drive cars.)

Do you have the ECU yet?

I have the same blue connector.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/6218/14fv.th.jpg (http://img208.imageshack.us/my.php?image=14fv.jpg)

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/1227/26ek.th.jpg (http://img104.imageshack.us/my.php?image=26ek.jpg)

As you can see, I also have the old model ECU. I still don't have the right ECU.:(

The white connector is for your soundsystem as good as I can see.
The white connector for your clutchswitch has to be on top of your clutch.

Toeks
02-28-2006, 03:13 AM
my ECU is on the way as well, hopefully it will be here today or tomorrow.:D Where did you get yours? (got mine on ebay)

I can't seem to find the clutch switch connector. Opened up below the steering colom and footpedals but nada. Is it where all the other wires are, or is it tied up somewhere up and behind the pedals?

You recon that other connector is for the sound system, interesting. What for? (sorry for all the questions, but you know what its like to find something new on an old toy. I dont know what it is but I want it!!)

Toeks
04-04-2006, 02:08 PM
Put the ECU in, no problem. I got the clutch switch from BMW themselves, not a very expensive part. Everything is in, except the clutch switch. There are no wires/plugs for it under the pedals. Could it be that b/c mine is a RHD that the wire could be on the left side under the glove box? I believe the brake switch is there as well.

cschollum
04-05-2006, 04:44 AM
Put the ECU in, no problem. I got the clutch switch from BMW themselves, not a very expensive part. Everything is in, except the clutch switch. There are no wires/plugs for it under the pedals. Could it be that b/c mine is a RHD that the wire could be on the left side under the glove box? I believe the brake switch is there as well.

no the rhd models like mine, that also has had retrofitted cruise control had the wiring for the clutch above the pedals, the brake light switch is also there, although as you probably know cruise control uses the same switch to recieve its signal.

there are many plugs tucked away up there, it may be some way away waraped up to the loom, but if you had the other wiring for the actuators and computer it will be there above the pedals.

also as well as a clutch switch you will need the switch bracket.

im unfamiliar with the later E34(1995), incase there was a difference, so check with others about it, there may also be differences between uk(mine) and other markets, but if its RHD id guess them to be the same

Rob
04-05-2006, 07:43 AM
I'm also trying to get cruise control into my 95 525.

My '90 525i has cruise control. I would've thought your '95 525i would've had it as well?

Toeks
04-05-2006, 12:57 PM
no the rhd models like mine, that also has had retrofitted cruise control had the wiring for the clutch above the pedals, the brake light switch is also there, although as you probably know cruise control uses the same switch to recieve its signal.

there are many plugs tucked away up there, it may be some way away waraped up to the loom, but if you had the other wiring for the actuators and computer it will be there above the pedals.

also as well as a clutch switch you will need the switch bracket.

im unfamiliar with the later E34(1995), incase there was a difference, so check with others about it, there may also be differences between uk(mine) and other markets, but if its RHD id guess them to be the same

Thanks for the reply. I do still have my doubts and think that my 1995 525 must be different than the pre '92 ones then. I checked and there is no break light switch on the pedal. The bracket is there (on the brake pedal) but no switch. From some of the searches I've done, it seems that some models have the brake light switch on the left hand side under the glove box. I'm baffeled

Toeks
04-05-2006, 12:59 PM
My '90 525i has cruise control. I would've thought your '95 525i would've had it as well?

All the automatic ones came with cruise control, not the manual. I've got a manual, hence the need for a clutch switch. Through all my searches in junkyards etc. I've yet actually to find a manual with cruise control....

Toeks
04-05-2006, 01:00 PM
have a Bentley for the rhd's? I've got a Bentley but mine came from the States(lhd), so it's not helping me with this prob at all.