PDA

View Full Version : 1989 525i Instrument Cluster Problems

cew1989
01-14-2006, 11:41 AM
I have a 1989 BMW 525i (manufacture date 10/88) and the instrument cluster has gone wild. The fuel and temp guages sometimes work and sometimes not, including moving randomly after shut off and key removal. The odometer reading sometimes doesn't display, then works again upon re-starting car. The message display works similar (intermittently) and also has a light glow after shutting down and removing the key. It almost seems that there is some type of a ground problem or low level power on the cluster after shutting off the vehicle. Have also noticed dead or drained battery if not started regularly.

shogun
01-14-2006, 12:01 PM
I would put my money on this one
http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/johan/dash_caps/dash_caps.html

cew1989
01-14-2006, 11:43 PM
I visited the link and this pretty much describes my problem. Thanks much!

I would put my money on this one
http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/johan/dash_caps/dash_caps.html

cew1989
01-28-2006, 11:25 PM
I followed the instructions to replace the capacitors and the problems are now solved. Thanks much!

I have a 1989 BMW 525i (manufacture date 10/88) and the instrument cluster has gone wild. The fuel and temp guages sometimes work and sometimes not, including moving randomly after shut off and key removal. The odometer reading sometimes doesn't display, then works again upon re-starting car. The message display works similar (intermittently) and also has a light glow after shutting down and removing the key. It almost seems that there is some type of a ground problem or low level power on the cluster after shutting off the vehicle. Have also noticed dead or drained battery if not started regularly.

wingman
01-29-2006, 02:42 AM
Welcome to the world of early E34s!!! If the electronic readout doesn't show at start up I don't sweat too much. It'll come on when it's good and ready. And as for trip meters. Who needs 'em. I'll get it fixed one day...