PDA

View Full Version : So tonight i raced a shitty shitty civic.

McWatters
01-14-2006, 02:04 AM
I raced a civic a really crappy hatchback (man trans.) and to my surprise he kept up to me till the end. I was in "s" mode and i floored it.

Is this a regular thing and i just expected to much outta the 535. or is something seriously wrong with my car.

cheers

J.McWatters

HDhandyman
01-14-2006, 02:10 AM
Dude, those really crappy manual trans hatch back civics are born racers. Don't fret, you never could have stood up to him under 55.

Cheers,

Stephen

mattyb
01-14-2006, 02:22 AM
Assuming this is on the street, thats a worry. how many days is that you have held a licence for? 4 or 5
take it to the track and vent yourself there before u hurt yourself and maybe someone else.

Gayle
01-14-2006, 02:24 AM
You tell him MattyB. Joel, pull your head out of your arse.

Your behavior gives immaturity a bad name.

Jon K
01-14-2006, 02:31 AM
You tell him MattyB. Joel, pull your head out of your arse.

even i wont street race

Alexlind123
01-14-2006, 02:56 AM
I raced a civic a really crappy hatchback (man trans.) and to my surprise he kept up to me till the end. I was in "s" mode and i floored it.

Is this a regular thing and i just expected to much outta the 535. or is something seriously wrong with my car.

cheers

J.McWatters

For the sake of us both, i hope your car has something wrong with it.Today i raced a GMC envoy with large wheels and loud, rumbly exhaust. We were both at a red light and i wasnt really planning on racing him but he stepped on the gas to begin with, so i floored it and pulled past him smoothly. After about a mile, he was required to change into the left lane behind me as there was a car in the right lane. After i passed the car in the right lane i was slowed back down to the speed limit and the envoy floored it and blew past me (i didnt even twitch the gas pedal, as we were nearing a rather large town).

So much for "American V8 Power."

SharkmanBMW
01-14-2006, 03:10 AM
Seriously dude, you just posted last week about getting your license!
You aren't off to a tremendous start in your driving career, and BTW, racing a Rice-Burner is demeaning to our cars.

mattyb
01-14-2006, 03:11 AM
just great, thats all he needs is encouragement from someone who should know better. you guys need some help. maybe gayle knows how to help u. perhaps a trip to the morgue to see what happens when it all goes wrong

Incantation
01-14-2006, 03:28 AM
considering he is pushing around 6 thousand pounds i wouldn't say he did bad

Alexlind123
01-14-2006, 03:29 AM
I was going a maximum of 60-65mph in a 55mph area, what could happen that wouldnt under normal driving conditions? The worst is that someone could change lanes in front of me, but that could happen even if i werent "racing," and the speed difference between "racing" and non-"racing" is negligible in this instance. If i could go out of control while driving in a straight line, i shouldnt be on the road in any case.

hakwuzhere
01-14-2006, 03:51 AM
I have "fun" with my car... and occasionally when someone tries to provoke me on the hwy I revoke thier man card... but otherwise, I drive 1-300miles a day, professionally... my driving is my life. I never get into "reckless driving" speeds unless I know iM in a safe area.

You just got your license.. your a ****ing idiot.... take some driving school classes... dont street race... and when you do race, do it on a track. Youll live longer.

Mitch90535im
01-14-2006, 09:19 AM

cheers

J.McWatters

Park your car and give your mommie the keys until you grow up a little. Racing is for the track, not the street.

Gayle
01-14-2006, 09:28 AM
You just got your license.. your a ****ing idiot.... take some driving school classes... dont street race... and when you do race, do it on a track. Youll live longer.

Second that. Bold the ****ing idiot part.

And Alex--what is the matter with you? At 16, you are usually one of the most mature level headed people on this board and now you are egging Joel on. Shame on you.

Drag racers plead ignorant of danger (http://www.courttv.com/trials/dragrace/051303_ctv.html)

Street racing kills 16 and injures 31 in San Diego in 2003 (http://www.californiaconnected.org/wp/archives/71)

More teen traffic fatalities related to drag racing than drinking and driving (http://www.duiblog.com/2005/04/28)

3,657 drivers 15 to 20 years old were killed on the roads in 2003, and 308,000 were injured. Data for 2004 are not yet available, but the recent rash of high-profile teen crashes appears to be related, first and foremost, to speeding and drag racing, not alcohol.

McWatters
01-14-2006, 11:35 AM
Well first off i didnt think therd be so much hate. and im not a ****ing idiot, This was in a massive Parking lot. extremly massive, Not on the street. Why the **** would i want to loose my license right away. I am not that stupid as many of u seem to think. On the roads i drive smart and cautiously. theres no way i want to **** up my time with my baby. Thanks for all kind words.

However i do know that racing is a stupid thing for any non track area. and i never will do it on the street. Cut me some ****ing slack, when ur with all your buddies in a huge parking lot. You want to show off, not to mention the peer pressure. even tho it is still illegal and un safe , i was not putting anyone else in danger. it was just payment. thats it.

cheers

J.McWatters

Rigmaster
01-14-2006, 11:50 AM
I see into the future, and it says McWatters will either get into a wreck or get a ticket for speeding or reckless driving within 6 months.

Sorry, I'm not wishing this on you- but I am not a betting man, and I would place a bet on this.

Don't get me wrong, I did plenty of stupid **** when I was younger, but I am SOOOO glad that my car ('72 VW Superbeetle) didn't handle well, and was pushing maybe 65hp- otherwise I'd probably have killed myself, or someone else.

Don't be an idiot.

Save up some $$$ and take your car to an autocross or a driver's school. It doesn't matter if it's not "race" prepped, and it doesnt' matter that it's an auto tranny- take it. You will have more fun, and learn so much more than you ever could by "racing" on the street.

BTW, if you ever get caught street racing, I hope they throw your ass in jail and give you the biggest $$$ fine possible- it's possibly the dumbest thing you can do with a car.

Bret.

hakwuzhere
01-14-2006, 12:51 PM
JC, one thing Id like you to understand... its not that I think "you" are a complete idiot... "EVERYBODY" is a complete ****ing idiot in thier first few years of driving. The racing just makes your lack of experiance worse...

Track, Driving School, AutoX..... do them... get experiance...

Gayle
01-14-2006, 01:13 PM
Well first off i didnt think therd be so much hate.

J.McWatters

It is not hate, it is caring. If we didn't care, it wouldn't matter to us if you end up dead. There are no do-overs if you end up dead.

Maybe what you did wasn't so bad cause it was on a parking lot. Did you tell us that? If we hadn't reamed your ass over this, maybe next time it would be on the street. Since you are telling us you are not that stupid, don't let your wounded pride keep you from thinking about what people have said to you.

People on this forum care about each other. Have you ever read the thread in bimmer nuggets where a forum member died? It wasn't drag racing, but for whatever reason he ended up dead. It was tragic and people felt it. People here don't want to be writing that stuff about you.

Terrible news: A fellow board member has passed on (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=9225)

632 Regal
01-14-2006, 01:42 PM
You tell em!!!

Well first off i didnt think therd be so much hate. and im not a ****ing idiot, This was in a massive Parking lot. extremly massive, Not on the street. Why the **** would i want to loose my license right away. I am not that stupid as many of u seem to think. On the roads i drive smart and cautiously. theres no way i want to **** up my time with my baby. Thanks for all kind words.

However i do know that racing is a stupid thing for any non track area. and i never will do it on the street. Cut me some ****ing slack, when ur with all your buddies in a huge parking lot. You want to show off, not to mention the peer pressure. even tho it is still illegal and un safe , i was not putting anyone else in danger. it was just payment. thats it.

cheers

J.McWatters

Incantation
01-14-2006, 03:50 PM
let's not get confused.. we don't know the circumstances here.. they could have been on open highway pinning it from a light with nobody around. so anyway.. let's keep in mind that neither of these cars have enough power to be dangerous in a simple 0-60 push anyway

i'd be more concerned if i hear guys talkin about pushing corners and racing in traffic

Alexlind123
01-14-2006, 04:08 PM
Oraganized street racing in a parking lot is not only highly illegal, but very dangerous as well. Parking lots are not designed for high speed. The only sort of "racing" i have done is from a red light or on the road, never to exceed the speed limit by more than ~10mph, hardly more dangerous than normal driving. Many, or dare i say, most drivers on the road drive in a more stupid and unsafe fashion than i without realizing it or even exceeding the speed limit.

IMO, dont be afraid to use the gas pedal from time to time. After all, you do drive a BMW. But if you cant handle it and keep yourself under control you should garage the BMW and buy a volkswagen beetle until you have learned how to drive responsibly and safely.

EDIT: I was writing my post while incantation posted, i agree with him.

Rigmaster
01-14-2006, 04:30 PM
let's not get confused.. we don't know the circumstances here.. they could have been on open highway pinning it from a light with nobody around. so anyway.. let's keep in mind that neither of these cars have enough power to be dangerous in a simple 0-60 push anyway
i'd be more concerned if i hear guys talkin about pushing corners and racing in traffic

Any sort of "street racing" is stupidity, pure and simple.

If they're concentrating on beating the other guy, they are NOT paying attention to anything else, including innocent drivers, dogs, sheep, squirrels, children, lil' ol' ladies, etc on the same road.

How much power do you think you'd need to be considered "dangerous"???

Bret.

McWatters
01-14-2006, 05:33 PM
I appreciate the concern. and i realise that racing is definately a no for many reasons. And gayle you are right. i failed to tell u where it was, however i was not thinking about the racing aspect of it, yet the performace of my car. so for that i appoligize and i also appolgize for my reaction earlier.

Thanks again guys.

cheers

J.McWatters

Paul in NZ
01-14-2006, 06:07 PM
fwiw not condoning any racing..our cars are not designed for drag racing......as you found out.

mzarifkar
01-14-2006, 07:25 PM
Remember, you are driving a 4 door luxury/sport sedan YOUR CAR IS NOT A LIGHT HOPPER!
I have seen too many accidents caused by behavior such as the above described, and often time its not the idiot who gets injured/killed, it is someone minding their own damn business.
If the racing appeals to you keep it on a track, or else surrender your BMW and stop lowering its dignity chasing civics.

632 Regal
01-14-2006, 07:37 PM
I think all you guys went way overboard on this subject, are we all feeling that we have to ream this guys ass cause everything off topic is gonna get pushed to another section?

There has been serious change to the flavor of this board in the last week or so and I personally dont think it's for the better.

I have been avoiding posting anything in fear of being BANNED...lol... can I ban myself anyways?

Lighten up, there has been many many threads on Kill stories on this site and this is just another except this one is aimed at making the writer feel like ****.

I think it's all overkill, that time of season or what?

Gayle
01-14-2006, 08:37 PM
I think all you guys went way overboard on this subject, are we all feeling that we have to ream this guys ass cause everything off topic is gonna get pushed to another section?

Two unrelated issues Jeff--off topic getting moved and trying to talk some sense into someone who has had their driver's license 5 days.

You are right that there have been other kill stories without this reaction. Kill stories are pretty infrequent and I don't think those were posted by drivers this young. They seem to be a once in a blue moon event rather than the start of a new recreational hobby. Those kill stories don't get much reaction one way or the other and they probably should. I hope the people who posted those threads read this thread and consider what was said to Joel and take it to heart.

I know you used to be a track racer. Would you rather see Joel racing on a track or the street? And you probably have a history of some street racing. (I think I remember a story about running from the police???) As you look back at any street racing you did, does it seem so smart now or do you say to yourself you are lucky to be alive?

632 Regal
01-14-2006, 09:33 PM
Id say that I wouldnt talk about it or give advice either way, people are people and this long standing BS on this thread is definetly OFF TOPIC...should we now move ALL SUBJECTS NOT PERTAINING TO THRUST ARM BUSHINGS AND THE LIKE TO OFF TOPIC?

Lets make it MOD oriented so that everything gets moved to another place, we need police everywhere these days!!!

Personally Im sick of it.

As you look back at any street racing you did, does it seem so smart now or do you say to yourself you are lucky to be alive?

swenpro
01-14-2006, 09:54 PM
blahblahblahblahblahTOMATOES!blahblahblahblahblah

motorman
01-14-2006, 11:19 PM
It's all inocent untill some one gets poked in the eye, I did street race years ago, I wasn't racing this day and I never have since, there is a place to race and that's the track, and more should be provided in a safe enviroment
than what we have today. This day I was a spectator, two cars took off in a street race, a little boy playing futher up the road, not knowing what was happening shot across the street, he never made it to the other side, neither will he have a future. It affected me deeply, so McWatters, I'm not saying don't, but there is a time and a place, the time is up to you, the place is the drag strip or track, suppervised with all the safety features that it has to offer. We all care

Incantation
01-14-2006, 11:36 PM
haha you know.. the e34 in any stock form is a pretty gutless car.. so is a civic; you sit there and hold the accelerator and not a lot really happens.. there is lots of time to look around and check out flowers, the scenery, etc.

so really you don't need a lot of concentration unless you are some nerd who has never been in a fast car and actually think the e34 is fast and your balls are sweating from excitement at the prospect of beating a CIVIC

like i said.. in traffic.. bad idea.. on the highway with no traffic coming off a light.. yea big deal. you're not going to find ol ladies etc there.

i think you should go petition against idiots that drive while talking on cell phones, or be an activist against people that speed in residential and/or school zones, or guys that try to drift. a simple 'off-the-line' race is nothing if done outside of traffic, and can be safe. we're not talking 500rwhp dsms here dude.

Evan
01-14-2006, 11:38 PM
matt, are you a republican... just curious

misfortune
01-15-2006, 12:43 AM
matt, are you a republican... just curious

This place needs a jump to conclusions mat.

Some of you guys need to lighten up. We have too many "experts" here. :P

632 Regal
01-15-2006, 01:04 AM
I planted some tomatoes last year with chicken **** and they grew above my head, I have pics to prove it

Gdub
01-15-2006, 02:43 AM
would it be ok to race if your car weighed 5000 lbs and only had 2 hp? where is the cut off? i was thinking about doing a weed whipper engine swap and wanted the go ahead that i could race it!(ON THE STREETS)

Mitch90535im
01-15-2006, 07:53 AM
would it be ok to race if your car weighed 5000 lbs and only had 2 hp?

NO

Rigmaster
01-15-2006, 09:50 AM
Sorry Inc, but that's more BS and you know it.

haha you know.. the e34 in any stock form is a pretty gutless car.. so is a civic; you sit there and hold the accelerator and not a lot really happens.. there is lots of time to look around and check out flowers, the scenery, etc.

so really you don't need a lot of concentration unless you are some nerd who has never been in a fast car and actually think the e34 is fast and your balls are sweating from excitement at the prospect of beating a CIVIC

like i said.. in traffic.. bad idea.. on the highway with no traffic coming off a light.. yea big deal. you're not going to find ol ladies etc there.

i think you should go petition against idiots that drive while talking on cell phones, or be an activist against people that speed in residential and/or school zones, or guys that try to drift. a simple 'off-the-line' race is nothing if done outside of traffic, and can be safe. we're not talking 500rwhp dsms here dude.

Jose
01-15-2006, 11:06 AM
Are we really serious here? Are you all really saying that no one raced or flored his car on the streets, ever ? If so, why in Gods name do you own a BMW for ? For fancy driving, showing off ? Buy a Lexus then. I'm not trying to say racing on a public road or even a highway is ok at all, but the guy was only having fun with his car without being stupid and driving at high speeds, not even exeeding the speed limit.

If you think that's racing, think again or go to a street race meeting, than you'll see what really being stupid beyond believe is.

632 Regal
01-15-2006, 11:26 AM
nope, everybody obeys the speedlimit all the time, no one has yet floored their car and felt acceleration. Have you?
Are we really serious here? Are you all really saying that no one raced or flored his car on the streets, ever ? If so, why in Gods name do you own a BMW for ? For fancy driving, showing off ? Buy a Lexus then. I'm not trying to say racing on a public road or even a highway is ok at all, but the guy was only having fun with his car without being stupid and driving at high speeds, not even exeeding the speed limit.

If you think that's racing, think again or go to a street race meeting, than you'll see what really being stupid beyond believe is.

Jon K
01-15-2006, 11:32 AM
I've never even gotten to the speed limit yet - whats that like?

kyleN20
01-15-2006, 12:15 PM
sheep?

kyleN20
01-15-2006, 12:18 PM
you cant say, i have "fun", and call someone a "****ing idiot" for doing the same, it doesent work

kyleN20
01-15-2006, 12:22 PM
u should have expected it, i got the same **** when i told them i did 140,

kyleN20
01-15-2006, 12:27 PM
finally, i agree

kyleN20
01-15-2006, 12:33 PM
you havent lived till youv street raced on public roads while doing a line of coke off a hookers ass, what a rush

Qube
01-15-2006, 02:17 PM
Remember, you are driving a 4 door luxury/sport sedan YOUR CAR IS NOT A LIGHT HOPPER!
I have seen too many accidents caused by behavior such as the above described, and often time its not the idiot who gets injured/killed, it is someone minding their own damn business.
If the racing appeals to you keep it on a track, or else surrender your BMW and stop lowering its dignity chasing civics.

Amen. If you want to hop, get it chipped so she has a gutsier low end.

Otherwise, don't make us look bad by having them thing they can 'hang' with the big boys :) We ride class... they're just... erm crass lol.

Anyway, be careful bro! You just got your license... you don't want a black mark and either the cops or your parents saying you drive a Hyundai Accent for the next few years!

Jose
01-15-2006, 03:15 PM
Now here's a man who knows how to live life. Bunch of pussies, buy a Kia.

misfortune
01-15-2006, 04:57 PM
you havent lived till youv street raced on public roads while doing a line of coke off a hookers ass, what a rush

tha gansta lyfe is tha lyfe fo' me.

casurfer911
01-15-2006, 05:29 PM
two girls in my highschool got tickets for street racing, they were going 60 in a 45 after 1/4 mile. I guess they were too afraid to flloor it. What i want to know is how the cop knew they were racing? :D

Bimmerforums.com has 6,486 threads in their kill stories section. I think this site is a much older crowd in general. You would never hear this kind of talk on that site.

skr
01-15-2006, 05:54 PM
hey, nothing wrong with going slow. i personaly like to go slow . just cruise around at 25 mph with my windows down , my seat pushed back and low, one hand on the weel the other on the arm rest, just leting it slide and puting it in neutral half a mile from a red light so it turns green till i get there . and if a ricer pulls up next to me at a light and feels like racing i just rev it couple of times so he think i gonna go and then laugh as he shoots of with nobody folowing him.

Traian
01-15-2006, 07:13 PM
hey, nothing wrong with going slow. i personaly like to go slow . just cruise around at 25 mph with my windows down

I think that's why God invented diesels :)

I'm surprised at the reaction to this topic, and whoever called the poor fellow a '****ing idiot' and then mentioned it was because he/she 'cared', I'd really hate to see what your responses are when you DON'T care... Personally I didn't read a single thing that would suggest that he was being reckless. 'All those folks driving around in S mode, the devil 'dem be!!!'

Beez540
01-15-2006, 11:41 PM
ooo...ooo... can I finally chime in.

Let he (OR SHE) who hath not sinned cast the first worn out brake pad.

males + cars + free time + questionable judgement + testosterone = street racing or Nascar. Personally, I hate Nascar.

Accidents are caused by street racing.

Accidents are caused by driving to slow.

Accidents are caused by talking on the phone while driving.

Accidents are caused by eating or drinking while driving.

Accidents are caused by plain old bad anticipation and reaction from even the most anal retentive of law abiding drivers.

Civics weigh about as much as a shopping cart... they are fast (relatively).
Civics are cheap and easy to supe up.

You drive an automatic... slow off the start.

If you must race a rice rocket or a mullet machine or even a psycho soccer mom (note: such activities are not condoned by any internet forum in the history of the internet)... you better have a good idea you can win, otherwise it's waaaaay embarrassing since you have the cooler car.

You've had your license for 5 days... nuf said.

Oh man, I gotta tell you about this one time.... oh wait, damn I don't wanna get flamed.

Gayle
01-15-2006, 11:54 PM
ooo...ooo... can I finally chime in.

Let he (OR SHE) who hath not sinned cast the first worn out brake pad.

It is so nice that someone finally posted a post to this thread (that just won't die) that speaks with a light touch and sense of humor. :)

Beez540
01-16-2006, 12:02 AM
It is so nice that someone finally posted a post to this thread (that just won't die) that speaks with a light touch and sense of humor. :)

I do what I can. ;)

Also, I read it for the first time tonight! I was going to suggest that my post be the definitive final post before the lockdown... but then that seemed arrogant... which it would've been.:D

Alexlind123
01-16-2006, 12:06 AM
If you must race a rice rocket or a mullet machine or even a psycho soccer mom

Are you referring to my post about the psycho soccer mom in the blue GMC Envoy?

Beez540
01-16-2006, 12:25 AM
Are you referring to my post about the psycho soccer mom in the blue GMC Envoy?

sure.;)

that and generally speaking of the crazies I have to avoid on a daily basis.

or maybe they're just flirting :D

Robin-535im
01-17-2006, 12:45 PM
This place needs a jump to conclusions mat.

Looks like someone has a case of the Mondays.

DanDombrowski
01-17-2006, 01:09 PM
How is your 'junk in the trunk' doing? Any chance of weight loss? Every time I go out with my mom in her Jeep, I sing (if you can call it that) that black eyed peas song to her: "why you got all that junk, all that junk inside this trunk?" I swear, its like she's permanently moving.

The times sound about right, manual civics aint that slow.

Was this a repeatable outcome, or was it just once? If it was just once, it could have had a bunch of different outcomes.

Did you spin on launch, bog, or get it just right?