PDA

View Full Version : Mechanic didn't repair but still charged...

byurko
01-13-2006, 11:27 PM
Hey guys,

I trailered my 540 into my mechanic b/c it was stalling out w/ a low oil pressure warning... He apparently noticed "brummet" in the oil when he drained it, but proceded to replace the oil pump w/ a new one from the dealer. Well... its still stalling and has the low oil pressure warning!!
Also... he said he'd only charge me $250. I gotta ask... "for what!!!"

To add insult to injury - he's had my car for 3.5 months and hasn't returned any of my calls or emails!! (He's 30 mins away from me) He only finally returned my call tonight when I told him that I'll be picking my car up tomorrow whether it's fixed of not!!

He's telling me that I need a new engine b/c there's internal damage - possible the crankshaft bearings. Isn't brummet in the oil a tell-tale sign of internal damage? Why would he replace the oil pump?

So... what should I do?

Thanks!!

632 Regal
01-13-2006, 11:39 PM
whats a brummet?

sounds like you need a new mechanic for sure!

winfred
01-13-2006, 11:55 PM
it's a small elf like creature that survives on discarded foreskins from hospital dumpsters

whats a brummet?

632 Regal
01-14-2006, 12:01 AM
I actually thought it was some sort of Italian hat, thanks for the heads up Win!

BigKriss
01-14-2006, 12:13 AM
a brummel?

http://www.aurorachristian.org/athletics/images/Brummel.jpg

Kalevera
01-14-2006, 12:30 AM
Ask him to drive it into a wall and call the insurance company.

Sounds like he'll do it, too :D

mattyb
01-14-2006, 12:34 AM
lol, damn those brummetts, damn them to hell!

Jon K
01-14-2006, 01:53 AM
Well sorry to tell you but whenever a repair is made, whether or not it fixes the issue, you're going to be billed for it. I've replaced my brake light switch twice, to find out it was my CCM that was failed not my brake switch. Could I return the switches? Nope.

byurko
01-14-2006, 08:50 AM
He's active in the local BMWCCA and only works on BMWs... The guys from Raleigh should know him. Shade Tree Garage - Truett (stgbmwservice.com)

I've taken my cars to him before...

Well... what do I do now? Replace the engine? It's an alusil block w/ only 50k miles on it...

Tiger
01-14-2006, 08:56 AM
Take it to the dealer... don't go back to that guy. It can be ICV valve that need to be replaced. Pressure would build up in the engine... causing resistance... slowing engine down... and thus affect oil pressure.

Rigmaster
01-14-2006, 10:25 AM
Just a guess, but maybe he said "babbitt" in the oil?? Pretty sure this is what some folks call the shiny metal coating on the rod + main bearings in the engine. It can show up in the oil as shiny metal "dust" and is usually a sign that there's been some bearing damage.

He probably suspected a worn/bad oil pump and replaced it for that reason. Did you ever talk to him after dropping the car off (before he made any repairs)??

I think you need to talk to Truett (or whoever did the work) and get some more info. Communication goes a long way here.

Based on the little bit of info you posted, it sounds like the low oil pressure problem may have toasted your engine, but I don't think you can blame the guy who diagnosed it for that. If he changed the oil pump and charged you $250- he's definitely eating a good chunk of the labor, probably because it did not fix your problem.

If he had your car for 3.5 months and wouldn't return your calls, why didn't you just drive over there and see for yourself what was going on?? It's your car, if you didn't want to wait that long, you could have taken it somewhere else.

Bret.

calmloki
01-14-2006, 11:31 AM
Ayup. Reminds me of the release form an oral surgeon had me sign - regardless of outcome or damage done I was liable for the bill. People (even professionals) are imperfect. Better professional people are paid to give you their best guess at fixing a problem given the facts in evidence. The better the pro, the better the guessing. Replacing the oil pump sounds like a reasonable lower cost way of seeing if the problem could be fixed than starting off with a motor rebuild. Armchair quarterbacking might suggest that pulling a rod cap might have been a good thing to do while the pan was off, but the arguement against that is the arguement against doing any and all diagnostic tests in a hospital: expense. At some point a responsible mechanic or doctor will make a diagnosis and proceed on that, saving the patient the cost of exhaustive testing. At $250 this mech is being very reasonable IMO. If you feel you can do better -do it yourself. Mechanic, stock advisor, Doctor - they are all just people you pay to guess for you. So says the guy who has had his 525iT dash and heating system gutted for the last week because he didn't properly diagnose a plugged cabin filter. Whoops! Wrong guess!
Tom Walrod

byurko
01-14-2006, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the replies guys!

Bret - I agree w/ you - he did eat a chunk of the labor and probably for the part as well! I guess it just frustrates me b/c he had my car for so long, didn't fix my problem, and didn't return any calls or emails (keeping me in the loop). I'm not trying to slam Truett, but there's no excuse for not making a 2 min. phone call!

A defective ICV should show up on a diagnostic scanner... No?

BTW, he did say babbit... whick does lead me to believe it's the bearings.

Thanks a bunch!!

Bryan

632 Regal
01-14-2006, 01:05 PM
if the crank isnt bad you may be able to replace the bearings, if a bearing spun theres a lot more work involved.
Thanks for the replies guys!

Bret - I agree w/ you - he did eat a chunk of the labor and probably for the part as well! I guess it just frustrates me b/c he had my car for so long, didn't fix my problem, and didn't return any calls or emails (keeping me in the loop). I'm not trying to slam Truett, but there's no excuse for not making a 2 min. phone call!

A defective ICV should show up on a diagnostic scanner... No?

BTW, he did say babbit... whick does lead me to believe it's the bearings.

Thanks a bunch!!

Bryan