PDA

View Full Version : in car navigation pictures

cschollum
01-13-2006, 09:07 PM
http://wwwfree-webhosts.com/nav.jpg

Qube
01-14-2006, 12:54 AM
Holy jeeze! A little too big for me though. I don't even like to have the ashtray out (cig lighter socket) while driving manual :|

Jon K
01-14-2006, 01:56 AM
um wow wtf lol

HDhandyman
01-14-2006, 02:12 AM
"we're going to do the same thing we do every night Pinky, we're going to take over the world!"

Cheers,

Stephen

McWatters
01-14-2006, 05:37 PM
Faithless fan are you???

its pretty cool but its freakin big.

cheers

J.McWatters

grease
01-14-2006, 06:11 PM
love the screen, HUGE, very nice, were did you relocate the Climate Control Head?

Tiger
01-14-2006, 06:17 PM
Sorry... I just cannot live without a good stereo system... but like everyone said... Jeez! That's a huge screen!. Very cool.

Torque
01-14-2006, 07:13 PM
I love it! All you need now, to complete your interior, is a nicer looking steering wheel, which shouldn't be a issue given that you don't have a airbag to worry about.

632 Regal
01-14-2006, 07:23 PM
for as much as I get lost in strange places I need one even bigger!..lol

pundit
01-14-2006, 08:11 PM
I love it! All you need now, to complete your interior, is a nicer looking steering wheel, which shouldn't be a issue given that you don't have a airbag to worry about.
What do you mean? He only just bought that one!

pundit
01-14-2006, 08:45 PM
????????????????????????????

I love it! All you need now, to complete your interior, is a nicer looking steering wheel....
;) :D

Jon K
01-14-2006, 10:28 PM
I dunno im all for interior work but that looks somewhat hacked.

My offering:

http://e34.digital7.com/Interior%20and%20Wheel/3.jpg

Incantation
01-14-2006, 10:30 PM
what have you got for a stereo?

Paul in NZ
01-15-2006, 04:17 AM
yikes Jon you have a low oil level warning!....

liquidtiger720
01-15-2006, 01:32 PM
Here is mine:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/liquidtiger720/IMG_0873Large.jpg

Yes, its small...but I'm not a blind bat. 20/20 vision is awsome. Plus, what do you guys think voice navigation is for?

liquidtiger720
01-15-2006, 01:50 PM
yes small dedicated navigation devices have their place, i have one and they are very usefull - my comments on large screens is for the benefit of non touch screen in car pcs - which mine is - allows for far more usability, like mp3 and such - i know u can do mp3 with handhelds but its easier on pcs, regards storage capability and writing software and expansion
when you do an incar pc navigation install - you are without usually the bonus of touchscreen, most of the available incar screens are AV ie use a video signal and that is not viable when trying to view text, the defenition isnt good enough.
and the majority of software regards navigation is designed for small touchscreens dedicated devices - but when it comes to pcs, most software isnt small screen friendly, so its a comprimise - once you have the map running and a route planned - yes the big screen is excesive - but regards planning it on the pcs software you really do need a large screen because of the design of the menus.
hope that clarifies

I dunno. I usually plan my routes @ home instead. And if you are planning your routes and know the roads, you really don't need gps.

Yea...storage smorage. I can easily but a 8gb microdrive in my handheld. Thats more than enough music for me. -Maybe not you. Heck, even my 1gb SD card is enough for me.

What are your thoughts about theft? Big LCD screen light that must cost ~$200 or so. And even if that is cheap, you still get a broken window with all the glass in the car.

So, I think it really all comes down to personal preferance.

BTW: I believe that picture you posted of JonK's setup was when he was test fitting it and doing final adjustments + details.

liquidtiger720
01-15-2006, 02:34 PM
the screen isnt removable, perhaps a thief may think it is but its well adhered to the dash board.

A big point of it as well is i have been designing incar pcs for about 4 years now and over that time things have changed regards handhelds and prices - but im in the mindset of ignoring those new handhelds!! - determined to get a good system up an running

also you miss my point about the reason for an incar pc, i know you can do music on a handheld, but its software design thats difficult, as a programmer - i cant write apps for handheld its too awkward, pref visual basic for pcs, the mapsoftware you see is my frontend so i can have full control over speed camera alerts, muting of car music on navigation isntructions etc

Like I said. We have different goals, and therefore different approaches.

Even if the thief didnt get the screen...you'd still have a busted window. :p

pbrennan10
01-15-2006, 04:38 PM
i outsmarted all the thieves, my tv is under my seat!

casurfer911
01-15-2006, 05:16 PM
this works very well for me http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b222/casurfer911/CIMG3683.jpg the climate control dials are below the ashtray, but the fiberglass insert that holds them is not complete.

hakwuzhere
01-15-2006, 05:52 PM
Casurfer... got any more pics of your install? also what type of screen is that?