PDA

View Full Version : Last Drive

Matt P
01-12-2006, 11:36 PM
Tomorrow (Friday), I will pick up my \\Wagon and drive it home from the dealership. This will probably be my last time behind the wheel of it, as it is about to pass on to someone who will take as much pride and care in it as I have.

Though it is the right thing to do for a lot or reasons, I'm kind of feeling strange about doing it (selling it). Any advice on things I can do to make the sendoff feel more comfortable?

(I know, I know haven't posted here in forever... but I've been following)

\just rebuilt the front suspension of the 535i...
\\...and the blower motor blew but the fuse didn't... nearly wiped out the fuse box.
\\\... ugly mess

Jeff N.
01-12-2006, 11:42 PM
Sad, huh Matt? I remember the excitement when you got.

My suggestion - make a little ceremony of it. Crack some champange, have a small toast to the good times, take one last picture and drive the long way to the dealership.

hehe...then take a test drive in the new M5. :D

kyleN20
01-13-2006, 12:01 AM
th m5 or the e39?

Matt P
01-13-2006, 12:03 AM
The M5 Touring. My wife is not about to give up the 540iT anytime soon. :-) Especially since I just got her an Ice Link for it for Christmas.

Matt P
01-13-2006, 12:05 AM
Yeah, I'm sad. It's the right thing to do logically, blah, blah, blah, but I as it approaches completion, I've got that twinge of sellers remorse (even though I'd hardly be able to drive it for the next year or so).

\One of my co-workers just picked up his new M5 (E60) on Tuesday
\\gotta check it out.

wingman
01-13-2006, 12:08 AM
I've missed the point here I think. Are you trading the car on another BMW?

Matt P
01-13-2006, 12:11 AM
Dang. haven't taken any pics of it lately.

Just sitting out in the driveway a couple months ago....

http://www.biginthesky.com/users/matt/m5t/M5T-left.JPG

http://www.biginthesky.com/users/matt/m5t/M5T-rightFront.JPG

http://www.biginthesky.com/users/matt/m5t/M5T-right.JPG

Matt P
01-13-2006, 12:14 AM
No. Just going to use the 535i for now. I've changed jobs and have nowhere to put it out of the Texas sun at work. Until my wife finished her degree and graduates in 2007, I'll have far fewer opprotunities to drive it than I've been accustomed to.

I may be in a position to consider the E61 M5 Touring after that (depends on how my next game does).

liquidtiger720
01-13-2006, 12:15 AM
Omg!

angrypancake
01-13-2006, 12:18 AM
Holy ****, that thing is drop dead gorgeous.

wingman
01-13-2006, 12:21 AM
Yeah sad event then. When I sold my E12 that I'd loved for ten years I felt like I'd betrayed it...for a week. I don't think of it much at all anymore. Here's hoping that the game takes off. I'm sure an E61 M5 will help to dull your sadness.

Kalevera
01-13-2006, 01:37 AM
Matt, I don't know if I've said it before, but I stil think you're crazy to sell it :)

< 900 built? It's going to be a collector's item. We have one that's been waiting to be picked up since June (too busy to come get it, I guess). 535s are, comparatively, a dime a dozen.

Probably the only two avus blue M5Ts in the US with the sunroof delete option (plus Fritz, and some 2002 and an E36):

http://www.bimmer.info/~lowell/summer.jpg

misfortune
01-13-2006, 02:12 AM
The M5 Touring. My wife is not about to give up the 540iT anytime soon. :-) Especially since I just got her an Ice Link for it for Christmas.

Matt, I saw a nice black 540iT in the UTD parking lot in richardson...

wingman
01-13-2006, 04:29 AM
I see your point but I can see the issues that MattP has. My E12 was one of very few in this country in manual/pastel blau etc etc. Some have said that I was mad to sell it. When the E34 came along I wanted it garaged and wanted to spend my money in one direction. The E12 suffered when I restored the 1600-2. Then I was told that I shouldn't sell that?!?! He's staring down the barrel of an E61 M5!!! We should all be insanely jealous. I know I am.

Torque
01-13-2006, 05:30 AM
Noooooooooooo! :(

Matt P
01-13-2006, 09:52 AM
Very likely my wife's, as that's where she is finishing up her degree.

azale
01-13-2006, 09:58 AM
I'd love to know what the asking price was, but feel free to keep that to yourself.

it is about to pass on to someone who will take as much pride and care in it as I have.

I hope you're right, because I heard he bought it for his 16-yr-old son as a first car. The son works construction in LA in the spring (acid rain) and parks in on the street in the city. In the summer he wants to use it to tow his waverunner to the lake. In the fall, he tailgates semi-trucks and gravel trains all the way to his friends cottage in Michigan (down a bumpy dirt road) where he drives a road commission salt truck on the graveyard shift.

Are you sure you still want to sell it? :D

Good luck with the E61 M5. My buddy works at EA Sports in Orlando . . . but he isn't buying a new BMW. What kind of games do you make?!

Matt P
01-13-2006, 10:06 AM
I know how rare it is. With only 119 of the upgraded 95s built, and maybe 6 or so in the USA, it qualifies as quite unique.

My personal circumstance have changed somewhat (new job, new baby), and I found myself pretty much with the decision between: 1) sell it now while it's in tip top shape (at this moment it is the best condition its ever been while I have had it), or 2) hang on to it for at least 10 years.

I don't really have any opportunities to drive it spiritedly except for the occasional track event. And at the DE events I've taken it to, I've learned that I am mismatched as a driver -- that car’s abilities are sufficiently above my skills on the track that I am not making any progress by going to the track only a couple times a year.

As a result, the most recent DE (track) events have been less fun for me. L That was one factor in realizing that I’m not getting what I want out of it.

Also, I can’t say enough good things about the person who is buying it (heh, I almost said ‘her’). I know the car will be used and enjoyed and taken phenomenal care of, by someone with similar passions. That takes some of the sting out of it.

tim
01-13-2006, 10:12 AM
[QUOTE=azale]

I hope you're right, because I heard he bought it for his 16-yr-old son as a first car. The son works construction in LA in the spring (acid rain) and parks in on the street in the city. In the summer he wants to use it to tow his waverunner to the lake. In the fall, he tailgates semi-trucks and gravel trains all the way to his friends cottage in Michigan (down a bumpy dirt road) where he drives a road commission salt truck on the graveyard shift.

QUOTE]

LMFAO.

You forgot about the wet dog, and the diet coke can crammed in next to the chewing tobacco spit cup in the leather console, and with the sticker in the back window of the kid pissing on a ford logo.

Matt P
01-13-2006, 10:14 AM

Are you sure you still want to sell it?

Nice try... :-) I still think it's the right decision. Not the easiest though.

I wrote a good chunk of the first 'Age of Empires' and all the 'Age of' games that followed. Some of my code is in 'Age of Empires 3', but I'm uncredited as I left before it was done. The last published game I worked on was "Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30" -- there was a special about it (the historical content) on the Discovery Channel last month.

ScottyWM
01-13-2006, 08:40 PM
Wow, we're going to miss it too. I've lusted over it from afar since I first saw your pics. Make sure you let the new owner know about us and to keep us posted on how much they love it!