PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from the dentist......

Zeuk in Oz
01-12-2006, 09:58 PM
More root canal & crown work ! :D (Sorry Bill couldn't resist - fun isn't it.)

Haven't had the head tested yet but have been doing some research into various methods of resurfacing of the head if necessary. Just a couple of questions :

If resurfacing is necessary, what sort of process should I be looking for - are CBN (cubic boron nitride) or PCD (poly crystalline diamond) machines necessary.

In other words what roughness average (Ra) should I be aiming for ?

hakwuzhere
01-12-2006, 10:05 PM
Well, while were on detistry ;) A few q's if we have a resident knowledgable dentist.

I have crowns on my upper front three teeth that I am not happy with(and they cost some bucks... I got whatever the most expensive material was at the time 7 years ago), and recently I have noticed that the back of my lower row of teeth is pretty decayed (not visable unless your looking in a mirror in a wierd way.

I was thinking of redoing the entire front bottom row with whatever it takes to have a perfect smile... but I dont know what that is, and possibly at that time redoing the top. Oh, and it looks like when my dentist told me 4 or 5 years ago to have my wisdom teeth removed or they would become impacted... well I think they have become impacted. I noticed some bleeding between my bottom wisdom teeth and last molar the other day.

Zeuk in Oz
01-13-2006, 08:15 PM
Haven't had the head tested yet but have been doing some research into various methods of resurfacing of the head if necessary. Just a couple of questions :

If resurfacing is necessary, what sort of process should I be looking for - are CBN (cubic boron nitride) or PCD (poly crystalline diamond) machines necessary.

In other words what roughness average (Ra) should I be aiming for ?

Bump

pundit
01-13-2006, 10:06 PM
... I was thinking of redoing the entire front bottom row with whatever it takes to have a perfect smile...
Do you want know how to save a shitload of money?

hakwuzhere
01-14-2006, 03:45 AM
Do you want know how to save a shitload of money?
Sure, how?.... course Im sure Im in for a sarcastic response :)

pundit
01-14-2006, 03:47 AM
Sure, how?.... course Im sure Im in for a sarcastic response :)
Don't smile! ;)

hakwuzhere
01-14-2006, 03:53 AM
If I had a ghetto "Im from WV" gap in my teeth I would... but I dont... Im in sales... so my appearance makes a difference... right now I look good... soon, Ill look great ;)

Rory
01-14-2006, 12:18 PM
Well, while were on detistry ;) A few q's if we have a resident knowledgable dentist.

I have crowns on my upper front three teeth that I am not happy with(and they cost some bucks... I got whatever the most expensive material was at the time 7 years ago), and recently I have noticed that the back of my lower row of teeth is pretty decayed (not visable unless your looking in a mirror in a wierd way.

They are probably all ceramic restorations or possible porcelain fused to metal. What are you not happy about? Color? Shape? Have your gums receded and they are no longer esthetic? Are you sure that your posterior teeth are decayed and not stained? If you drink a lot of coffee/tea/red wine you may have some severe staining. Or it could be calculus build up depending on the color. Regardless, you will need a thorough oral exam (few x-rays and a clinical exam) to make a proper diagnosis.

I was thinking of redoing the entire front bottom row with whatever it takes to have a perfect smile... but I dont know what that is, and possibly at that time redoing the top. Oh, and it looks like when my dentist told me 4 or 5 years ago to have my wisdom teeth removed or they would become impacted... well I think they have become impacted. I noticed some bleeding between my bottom wisdom teeth and last molar the other day.
Bleeding is not necessarily from impaction. It is typically a sign of gingivitis or has progressed to periodontitis (would need to be diagnosed properly). There are different schools of thought on wisdom teeth. Many countries outside the US say to leave them so when they extract molars later in life you will have more teeth to use. My personal opinion is that if there is any sort of space issue to remove them. They can easily be a huge food and plaque trap that makes it incredibly difficult to keep clean. If you don't keep it clean you will introduce gum problems and most likely decay to your posterior teeth. If they were recommended to be removed I would think about doing it. Of course if you are uncomfortable with the diagnosis, get a second opinion. But it is not a big deal to remove them. It is exacerbated if they are impacted, but you will have other more serious problems if you leave them impacted. And a "perfect smile" is in the eye of the beholder. There should be options for cheaper cosmetic restorations up to veneers. Each will have its advantages and disadvantages and your dentist will be able to explain your particular options and costs with you. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Disclaimer: This does not constitute medical advice or recommendations for treatment. You should be properly diagnosed by a licensed professional in person blah blah blah.

Best,
Rory