PDA

View Full Version : residual pressure gremlins

nariusb
01-12-2006, 06:24 PM
I'm ran out of options to fix the loss of my residual pressure. It leaks out in two hours or less.
I tried all the options with the help from search. Here's what I'm done:
- Installed the check valve fix kit in the trunk, just above the fuel pump,
- replaced rubber fuel lines and clamps,
- recent fuel filter replacement,
- no gas smell,
- replaced fuel injectors with O-five ones (delco),
- clamped fuel return and then fuel supply lines (it still leaked, so I guess FPR is OK)
Where in the ... does it go??? The search shows similar problems but stops short of fixing the problem. Let's get it this time for future e34 guys.

nariusb
01-12-2006, 06:35 PM
I'm ran out of options to fix the loss of my residual pressure. It leaks out in two hours or less.
I tried all the options with the help from search. Here's what I'm done:
- Installed the check valve fix kit in the trunk, just above the fuel pump,
- replaced rubber fuel lines and clamps,
- recent fuel filter replacement,
- no gas smell,
- replaced fuel injectors with O-five ones (delco),
- clamped fuel return and then fuel supply lines (it still leaked, so I guess FPR is OK)
Where in the ... does it go??? The search shows similar problems but stops short of fixing the problem. Let's get it this time for future e34 guys.
Just to mention it's 1989 525i with m20 engine. The car runs great. The only little problem I have is a little longer, about 2 or 3 seconds, crank time.

Kalevera
01-12-2006, 09:34 PM
What does the metal send line look like? I think you've tracked down the problem. Clamping the send and a correctly installed check valve (don't think it can be mis-installed and have the car still run) isolates the send line. I'd go over the whole thing with my sniffer...it's gotta be leaking somewhere.

best, whit

nariusb
01-12-2006, 09:40 PM
What does the metal send line look like? I think you've tracked down the problem. Clamping the send and a correctly installed check valve (don't think it can be mis-installed and have the car still run) isolates the send line. I'd go over the whole thing with my sniffer...it's gotta be leaking somewhere.

best, whit
Thanks Lowell,
The lines looks solid and I don't smell any gas but since it's a very small leak you're could be right on the button. What' s a sniffer?

Kalevera
01-12-2006, 09:58 PM
Your nose :)

There are differences between what a full fledged LEAK will smell like versus a vent leak (ie -- a hole on the top of the tank). Given that the pressure is bleeding off so quickly, I'm betting the line is bad at some point. No other way to go about it beyond getting on a creeper and sliding around under the car/inspecting every inch of that line.

Edit: argh, now that I think about this more...I'd be suspecting the line IF the engine is running normally (ie -- no indication that the FPR isn't doing its job) and the fuel rail itself isn't leaking. There're a few intake related susceptibilities on the M20 that will make things run poorly. I'm assuming that you've got an in line fuel pressure gauge that you're basing a hard start issue on...

best, whit

nariusb
01-12-2006, 10:26 PM
Your nose :)

There are differences between what a full fledged LEAK will smell like versus a vent leak (ie -- a hole on the top of the tank). Given that the pressure is bleeding off so quickly, I'm betting the line is bad at some point. No other way to go about it beyond getting on a creeper and sliding around under the car/inspecting every inch of that line.

Edit: argh, now that I think about this more...I'd be suspecting the line IF the engine is running normally (ie -- no indication that the FPR isn't doing its job) and the fuel rail itself isn't leaking. There're a few intake related susceptibilities on the M20 that will make things run poorly. I'm assuming that you've got an in line fuel pressure gauge that you're basing a hard start issue on...
best, whit
You say:There're a few intake related susceptibilities on the M20 that will make things run poorly
What are these susceptibilities?
And yes I have an fuel gauge on the suply hose.
I just inspected the lines again very carefully and I don't see any week spots or smell anything. Can a pin hole in the tank above fuel level cause it?

632 Regal
01-12-2006, 10:46 PM
what does the guage read at idle and when you hit the throttle? Also have you tried turning the key to the on position for a few seconds before cranking it?

nariusb
01-12-2006, 11:53 PM
what does the guage read at idle and when you hit the throttle? Also have you tried turning the key to the on position for a few seconds before cranking it?
Reagal, how are you tonight?
At idle it reads 40PSI and when throttle hit jumps to 46-48 and right back when when released throttle.
My key turned to 2 posstion doesn't start the pump. Should it do that in 11/88 made 525i with m20?

wingman
01-13-2006, 12:39 AM
One of susceptibilities is a fault somewhere in the vacuum system. A cracked 'T'-joint on the manifold side of the brake booster will allow pressure out of the system and cause an uneven idle. Where are you(climate)? I couldn't see from your profile.

nariusb
01-13-2006, 01:42 AM
One of susceptibilities is a fault somewhere in the vacuum system. A cracked 'T'-joint on the manifold side of the brake booster will allow pressure out of the system and cause an uneven idle. Where are you(climate)? I couldn't see from your profile.
I'm in Canada. My idle is OK, maybee a rittle louder rumble when in drive, but not a problem at all. It idles at 800 or so. I did the unlit propane/ brake fluid spray on the vacum hoses but could't catch any.
One question. Where's the original check valve at the fuel pump, on the suply or return? Could it be that check valve inside the pump? I installed the external one on supply.

wingman
01-13-2006, 04:39 AM
Sorry, can't help with that question. I was asking about climate because I used to have all sorts of vapourisation in hot weather with my E12. On a recent hot day 41C I had starting problems with my M20 525i. I attributed it to injector leak but that turned out to be incorrect. An uncle of mine who's an auto electrician had a look at it. He pulled out the fuel pump regulator, checked it, put it back in and the problem vanished. It would appear to have been a bad connection.

nariusb
01-14-2006, 11:01 AM
Just to mention it's 1989 525i with m20 engine. The car runs great. The only little problem I have is a little longer, about 2 or 3 seconds, crank time.

Like I mentioned I've installed denso fuel injectors from Five-O. Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7987407660&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Could they leak in my car with m20? They did slip in very easily compared to old Bosh ones. So I'm thinking old ones leaked and the new ones aren't the perfect match?

nariusb
01-19-2006, 12:42 PM
I disconected return line from FPR and there's a drip, drip every 2s. So my FPR is leaking. I suspected mine of leaking, so I ordered this one of ebay, it was supposto be in like new condition. This time I'm getting a new one and will let you know if it fixes residual pressure leak for good.