PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent shift shock during manual gearchange

ktteoh
01-11-2006, 11:49 PM
folks, this happens intermittently especially when i'm rough with the gearchange (especially the lower gears) or when i let try to accelerate in a high gear.

what is the symptom for:
1. wear in engine mounting?
2. wear in rear pittman (dogbone) arms?
3. wear in center bearing (prop shaft)

i have already changed the plastic bushing for the gearlever pivot and also the plastic white spline bushing near the center prop shaft coupling.

another issue i have is vagueness in selecting 3rd. or 5th gear - the horizontal travel plane feels a bit loose. again this is intermittent and happens when i downshift from 5th. to neutral when i cruise to a stop. thereafter selecting 5th. usually involves an effort to push similar to the reverse detent effort.

Kalevera
01-12-2006, 12:54 AM
1) Inordinate amount of engine vibration transmitting to the chassis/passenger compartment

2) Loss of "feel" of the car's rear end; wandering or pulling to one side (extreme wear)

3) Noise originating in the center of the car, usually on acceleration, but they'll rattle all over the place if the entire thing is ripped out.

On the shifting issues, it'll be necessary to determine if they're internal to the transmission or related to bad bushings. The latter can be determined, to a degree, by supporting the trans from underneath and unbolting the crossmember, reaching up into the tunnel and manipulating the various parts. Is there any up/down (height) movement in the shifter? The rear bushing may be blown out.

What model/year is this? If it's a >= '91 525 with a Getrag 220/5, the problem is likely the trans itself -- not one of the most robust ones out there...

best, whit